• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] VZW GS3 Root and Bootloader question

del64

Apr 20, 2014
Hello,

I recently bought a GS3 I535 and it came loaded with 4.3. I managed to root it but I was aiming to put CM11 it eventually. I really dont mind 4.3 but it keeps asking me to update which is really annoying and I dont want to lose my root.

Is it possible to at least root on the latest update?

Also, I am unsure if I actually unlocked the bootloader. I thought 4.3 was unlockable but when I rebooted my device, the opening screen had an unlocked padlock icon and said "custom" on the bottom.

Download Mode says - binary Samsung: official. system status: custom. Qualcom secureboot enable. Warrantbit:0. Bootloader RP SWREV: 1

I want to verify it is unlocked so I may install a custom rom.

EDIT: I realized I could use titanium to freeze my SDM so those updates stop.

Thanks!

Did you root with saferoot?
I believe that is the only way to root a 4.3 version.
After root, I think the only recovery you can install is safestrap, and with that, can only install TW based roms.
As far as those annoying update notifications, let me look into that. I seem to remember you have to disable something via Titanium backup...for the life of me I cannot remember what it was lol (I'll check around)

Upvote 0
I did use saferoot but did that also unlock my bootloader since it displays "custom" on the opening splash screen and download mode? I kind of thought the VZW GS3 was impossible to unlock on 4.3+. I found a video on how to do flash using TWP and it seems pretty simple, I just do not want to brick this phone or have the Knox ruin it or something of the sort lol.

I believe this is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQdSOTdV06Q

Ah I just made the edit to my last post lol. I just froze the SDM which got rid of that annoying problem. Thanks though!

Upvote 0
I cannot be 100% sure that what the video says will work for the Verizon on the rooted OTA 4.3..

According to what I have read here (the thread for the safestrap recovery):
[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2014-01-10 Alpha] - xda-developers

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.
(emphasis in bold mine)

trying to install TWRP as the video says, will bork your device.

In that video you link, it appears in the beginning he is on 4.3.1, but did you notice his kernel version? CM based. I would surmise he was rooted before the OTA 4.3, and the rom he is on is 4.3.1 based custom rom....not the 4.3 OTA update.

Again, that is what is appears to me.
Now, I didn't read every post in the safestrap thread, but scanning thru it, that is what I understand.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones