• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon Warranty claim or Asurion?

tmccaw21

Lurker
Dec 14, 2012
This past weekend I submitted a claim through verizon for a replacement GS3. I have been having issues with the micro USB port and am having a nearly impossible time getting the phone to connect to a charger that will actually charge it. The port seems a little loose, even after trying multiple chargers. There is no physical damage to the port or the phone itself besides 2 small chips in the paint on the corner of the phone. I have had no other issues at all besides a very difficult time getting the phone to charge and once I do get it plugged into where it will begin charging, it takes several hours to get even 30-50% more juice. In the past it would easily fully charge in an hour or so.

My biggest concern after reading other discussions about this issue and the usb ports is that verizon will try and charge me for the replacement after I send my defective one in, and from what I have seen, there is no going back once you send it in. I have also seen a couple cases in which verizon and other companies will simply say that the usb port is not covered under warranty at all but I could not find that so far in my warranty paperwork. If they decide to charge me, there is no way to dispute it. Should I continue with the warranty claim or cancel it and pay the $100 deductible to Asurion and just get a new (refurbished) phone through them rather than taking the chance of being charged over $300 for a replacement by verizon?

It just seems trivial to get an honest assessment from Verizon before I send it in because all the associates at the store have told me is that its up to the warranty people if they want to charge me. I don't like knowing I could lose hundereds to someone who just decides under their own discretion to charge me.

AFAIK all the insurance is through Asurion. That being said, I personally would go the warranty way and have Verizon FedEx you the replacement (depending how long you've had the phone). Personally I would never get a "warranty replacement" from a store. On more than one occasion I have tried that only to find that all the so-called tech did was hand me a different phone that was actually one someone else had brought in to get replaced. Pure opinion and just my two cents worth...

Upvote 0
Yeah I decided to stick with the Verizon warranty replacement which will be here today. I almost cancelled it because after reading a lot of discussions, verizon was charging people for ridiculous claims that it was user abuse when the usb ports went bad. However I called verizon yesterday to talk to them about it and the very nice lady actually looked at pics I sent her of my phone and the usb port to see what they thought in terms of possibly being charged for what they might call abuse. After looking over the pictures and showing them to a warranty tech, she said that I should be fine and shouldn't worry about being charged for a replacement. Now we wait and see what happens after I send my defective one back. Boy I would hate to be the rep who answers my call if they try and charge me for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones