• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help vertical photos rotating to horizontal orientation

I'm not sure if anyone has found a solution to this issue yet, but I wanted to post some additional information that might assist.

The "image rotation" phenomenon has also happened to me a few times; just recently this morning. I have a GS3 on AT&T, and I use Handcent SMS as my messaging app. I just noticed when I took a portrait orientation picture (2.4 MP resolution) and immediately went to MMS the photo, it was rotated 90 degrees to the left in the MMS message; however, I noticed that Handcent SMS did not display the prompt for me to resize the photo before adding it to the MMS message. Usually I get a prompt that says something along the lines of "Photo too large - would you like to resize the photo before sending?" and I hit OK, then I can add text and send the picture on its way.

I just rebooted my phone, and went through the steps above again, and I got the prompt to resize the image before adding it to the message, and all worked fine. Makes me wonder if there could be some sort of glitch with the Android stock messaging application on the phone because I believe Handcent SMS piggybacks off of that application.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with the Samsung S6 - downloaded for the first time today. As a workaround, I found that if I right click the thumbnail image on those affected (ie most of them in portrait mode) and convert to an Adobe pdf, which then opens the image, and then save as a jpeg the image, the rotation stays fixed in the thumbnail and on opening in all viewers. I will in future use the camera in landscape mode whenever possible.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with the Samsung S6 - downloaded for the first time today. As a workaround, I found that if I right click the thumbnail image on those affected (ie most of them in portrait mode) and convert to an Adobe pdf, which then opens the image, and then save as a jpeg the image, the rotation stays fixed in the thumbnail and on opening in all viewers. I will in future use the camera in landscape mode whenever possible.
I, too, have the exact same issue. This has been going on for over 6 years... it's unbelievable that a techie hasn't posted a solution!!!

Upvote 0
I also have this issue with my Galaxy S6. If I take the photo up and down (veritcal), facebook wont see it as a vertical photo and turn it 90 deg. However, if I take the photo side to side (Horizontal), facebook wont try and change it.

The gallery shows them fine no matter what.

As a former iphone user, I never ran into this. Not sure why apps wouldnt be able to handle a vertical photo.

You can see what its doing in the photo examples I attached to this reply.
Screenshot_2016-03-11-03-35-02_resized.png Screenshot_2016-03-11-03-34-51_resized.png

Upvote 0
How do you clear JUST the camera cache? I dont see an option for that in settings, and Google doesnt seem to have any suggestions for clearing ONLY the camera cache.
This is for an S4. Your S6 may be slightly different:
Go to Settings>More>Application Manager
Scroll all the way to right to "ALL" then scroll down to the Camera app., and clear both the cache and the data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones