• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Vibrate/Ringer issues after Kit Kat update

Ever since my phone updated to Kit Kat last week it's been doing a couple of weird things. Overall it's working much better (better battery life for sure!) but these things are an annoyance. I've made a post for each issue.

The second thing it does is when I'm at work and have the phone set to vibrate (via an automated action), periodically (anywhere from a few mins to a few hours) the ringer will turn back on. At first I thought this was a problem with SmartActions, so I got another app which can manage the phone's sound based on my location (AutomateIt) and it's doing the same thing. Already since I first set the rule in AutomateIt at 7:57 this morning, I've had to disable and re-enable the action (at 8:12 and 8:46) to put the phone back in vibrate mode. There doesn't seem to be any particular action which causes it to turn the ringer back on that I've noticed.

I also have a SmartAction to set the phone to vibrate mode when I'm in class, and have my first class since the OS upgrade tonight so I'll see if this issue occurs there as well then

I'm thinking of doing a factory reset on the phone but thought I'd see if anyone else had noticed similar behaviors and knew how to fix them

So I've since noticed that it doesn't seem to matter if the phone is put in vibrate mode manually or automatically by an app, the ringer will still turn itself back on after anywhere from a few mins to a few hours.

From the lack of response, guessing I'm the only one having this issue? I haven't had time to do a factory reset yet, maybe this weekend

Upvote 0
I do not have your phone or your problem.

I always do a Factory Data Reset after a major system upgrade like Jelly Bean to Kit Kat. Experience has shown that you eventually will and the sooner you do it the least amount of time you will spend chasing non-issues.

After the Factory Data Reset if you run into an odd situation you can try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them) and if the problem stops it is caused by an app that you added.

... Thom

Upvote 0
So I've since noticed that it doesn't seem to matter if the phone is put in vibrate mode manually or automatically by an app, the ringer will still turn itself back on after anywhere from a few mins to a few hours.

From the lack of response, guessing I'm the only one having this issue? I haven't had time to do a factory reset yet, maybe this weekend

I'm on KK and haven't experienced this issue. FDR might be what you have to do. I know when I just accepted the OTA as is without doing an FDR, I had issues. Once I did an FDR, those issues disappeared.

Upvote 0
I have not had the issue with the phone switching back from vibrate to ring. However, I have noticed a couple of odd things since the update. When it's on vibrate, I can never hear it anymore unless it's right in front of me. I used to be able to. The vibrate seems very quiet. There are now four different patterns to choose from but I can't tell the difference.

The other thing is that there is no longer a toggle on the lock screen. I used to be able to switch it between ring and vibrate or ring and silent (depending on how I had set it before locking) without unlocking the phone. That way I could do a quick check before going into a meeting or something. Has anybody else noticed this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones