• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] easiest way to un-root before update

Oct 26, 2010
I rooted my v6 software f3 with saferoot, but ive found it still just plain doesn't have enough built in memory, and I have to clear stuff out just to install new apps usually before using link2sd, and I honestly don't use a lot of apps. rather then fighting with it id rather just return to stock now that im getting nagged to update to the newest software, and the fact that my phone is trashed and would rather just use it hassle-free as a phone until I get a new phone (soon, probably the lg volt) im thinking its easier just to put it back to stock and let it update.

whats the fastest way to do this? or is it easier just to install the patched v7 update?

I rooted my v6 software f3 with saferoot, but ive found it still just plain doesn't have enough built in memory, and I have to clear stuff out just to install new apps usually before using link2sd, and I honestly don't use a lot of apps. rather then fighting with it id rather just return to stock now that im getting nagged to update to the newest software, and the fact that my phone is trashed and would rather just use it hassle-free as a phone until I get a new phone (soon, probably the lg volt) im thinking its easier just to put it back to stock and let it update.

whats the fastest way to do this? or is it easier just to install the patched v7 update?

See if following post helps. Info in OP may also be beneficial.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6662330

Upvote 0
I was tired of the updates too so I returned to stock. My problem is there are a lot of apps I want to use but because of the ridiculous lack of space on this phone I cannot. I am also going to get an LG Volt - probably at end of August. I'll give this one to my wife (be an upgrade from LG Optimus Elite). She uses hardly any apps so it will be a great phone for her.

Upvote 0
I was tired of the updates too so I returned to stock. My problem is there are a lot of apps I want to use but because of the ridiculous lack of space on this phone I cannot. I am also going to get an LG Volt - probably at end of August. I'll give this one to my wife (be an upgrade from LG Optimus Elite). She uses hardly any apps so it will be a great phone for her.
I like the look of the Volt too. One big problem though, no root exploit or recovery. The aboot image has not been added to the loki patch so no kernel development. No root or loki patch is a deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0
I like the look of the Volt too. One big problem though, no root exploit or recovery. The aboot image has not been added to the loki patch so no kernel development. No root or loki patch is a deal breaker for me.

If the reports from earlier this year are any indication, we still might receive Kit Kat this September. Then again, I'm slightly salivating at the sight of so many iPhones where I'm staying in the LA area... :eek: :D ;) Don't worry, I'm holding my own! I still plan to stick with Android for mobile use, though someone I know is offering to give me an iPad.

Upvote 0
If the reports from earlier this year are any indication, we still might receive Kit Kat this September. Then again, I'm slightly salivating at the sight of so many iPhones where I'm staying in the LA area... :eek: :D ;) Don't worry, I'm holding my own! I still plan to stick with Android for mobile use, though someone I know is offering to give me an iPad.
Don't give in to the dark side young iWalker. :cool:

Upvote 0
Do I have to install the upgrade? What if I just ignore it? Will it eventually force itself to install and then "brick" my phone?

My F3 is currently rooted but I didn't install a ROM. I'm happy with it the way it is: I removed some bloat and I have room for apps using Link2SD.

Since I didn't install a ROM is it possible I can install the update without any problems? Or is it just the fact that I'm rooted that will cause problems when updating?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Do I have to install the upgrade? What if I just ignore it? Will it eventually force itself to install and then "brick" my phone?

My F3 is currently rooted but I didn't install a ROM. I'm happy with it the way it is: I removed some bloat and I have room for apps using Link2SD.

Since I didn't install a ROM is it possible I can install the update without any problems? Or is it just the fact that I'm rooted that will cause problems when updating?

Thanks!

No you don't have to update, but the notifications will continue until you do. You stated you removed bloatware, so yes it will brick your phone. A "custom stock" rom would only matter if it has any changes to the stock system (odexed or de-odexed, bloatware removal, etc.) and what version. Modified kernels like an "Over-Clock" kernel or cwm recovery will cause a brick. I have not found root to be an issue as long as everything else is as it was the very first time you turned it on. I would advise looking at the ZV7 Update Guide by bkttk2.

Reactions: unclevername
Upvote 0
No you don't have to update, but the notifications will continue until you do. You stated you removed bloatware, so yes it will brick your phone. A "custom stock" rom would only matter if it has any changes to the stock system (odexed or de-odexed, bloatware removal, etc.) and what version. Modified kernels like an "Over-Clock" kernel or cwm recovery will cause a brick. I have not found root to be an issue as long as everything else is as it was the very first time you turned it on. I would advise looking at the ZV7 Update Guide by bkttk2.

Thank you gherkaul. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones