• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VIRGINMOBILE][GUIDE][BASIC][WIP] Rooting for Newbies!

Look in settings/about phone/baseband and it will end in either mc1 or mg5. Mg5 is updated to most recent.
And yep that's the correct thread. Its the one I linked to a few posts back.
OK rebooting victorious for first time. Voice said will self-destruct in 5 secs, but I don't see any smoke coming out... now it is "optimising apps". Looking good so far touch wood.

Upvote 0
Look in settings/about phone/baseband and it will end in either mc1 or mg5. Mg5 is updated to most recent.
And yep that's the correct thread. Its the one I linked to a few posts back.
OK rebooting victorious for first time. Voice said will self-destruct in 5 secs, but I don't see any smoke coming out... now it is "optimising apps". Looking good so far touch wood.

Edit: OK phone is running fine on Victorious, thanks v much all.
Still not sure how to do hotspot but will check it out, eg download a hotspot app.phone now thinks internal memory is the SD card so that's good.

edit2: NO d/l'ed a hotspot app but it says hotspot not suported.

Upvote 0
New app's have appeared:

superuser, logo is #. Wants to install something (superuser binary update) I guess that's OK?

Also PSM which also wants to update when I open it.
Fine to update both. You now have WiFi tether app. Read directions in victorious thread for tether settings. That is WiFi hotspot. And post victorious comments in that thread not here. :) http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5933735

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi, I'm having problems flashing TWRP onto my Samsung Victory, using Odin. I put my device into download mode and plugged it into my PC and nothing happens. My computer gives no indication that my phone is plugged in, and the Odin screen shows nothing. No blue box, no dialog whatsoever. Any thoughts? Oh, and did install the Samsung drivers and all. Phone does show up when it's turned on.

Upvote 0
OK so I'm missing something here. I have all the .zips flashed but SuperSU, which Google play automatically installs on the phone. I think this is the problem I'm having.

Where do you get the .zip file for SuperuserSU? The Google Play links just automatically download to the phone.

I had this phone rooted once before using your method and I had no problems. This time I can't seem to get it to work. I'm missing something and I just can't put my finger on what it is.

Upvote 0
Whoops, HEY!!! Problem solved. As usual I was looking in the wrong place. Found the .zip on another page, downloaded and flashed the whole mess again, and apparently the phone is rooted. No I just have to find a reliable hot spot app.

I just love it when I do something that makes me look like a doink...:p

Thanks to The Britton, and everyone else for this very informative thread.

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0
Just a note that may be helpful to other noobs like me. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I followed this guide and kept getting the e-file verification error. Finally I realized that the recovery I was using was not the TWRP I thought I was using. It must have not downloaded properly or something.

I'm guessing this is the issue a number of people have that are struggling with e-file.

From what I can tell - the phrase RECOVERY BOOTING is in blue in both cases.

But with TWRP you will see a blue screen with the words Teamwin and then a very graphical menu you can operate with the touchscreen. This is TWRP!

If you see a little android guy with a dodecahedron (or something) in his belly, your menu is operated by volume buttons and power button, and your options are as follows:
reboot system now
apply update from adb
apply update from external storage
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

This is NOT TWRP! I'm assuming it's the stock recovery.

If you have the wrong one, go back a few steps and carefully do the ODIN/tar download step again until you see the TWRP recovery as described.

Hope that helps someone.
Thanks for the original guide!

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm having problems flashing TWRP onto my Samsung Victory, using Odin. I put my device into download mode and plugged it into my PC and nothing happens. My computer gives no indication that my phone is plugged in, and the Odin screen shows nothing. No blue box, no dialog whatsoever. Any thoughts? Oh, and did install the Samsung drivers and all. Phone does show up when it's turned on.

That's rather odd. I would suggest downloading the Samsung usb drivers again and run Odin in administrator mode if running Windows 7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones