• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help voice navigate to address saved in contacts list in car mode?

beretta627

Lurker
Nov 8, 2009
Hey, quick question. I would like to voice navigate to addresses that are saved in my contacts.

Example: Contact named "Home" with my home address loaded into it.

When I am in car mode, I try to to say "navigate to home," but it only google guesses the result instead of trying to reference my contacts list.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Thanks in advance!

That works somewhat well, I have to get used to it. But it does seem to lead you into a circle of menus and I often cannot navigate to the point I had selected. I wish it were slightly more streamlined.

But the key question we were raising was to do it using the Voice Search. I want to be able to say "Navigate to House" or "Navigate to Parents".

Upvote 0
This needs some serious work. I hit 'voice button, speak name of contact that includes an address, and it does list options to call that contact at top of page - but no option to 'navigate to address. Heck, I speak a name, and top 3 choices are to call guy's home, mobile and work number, but no actual option to OPEN the contact.

Also, while actual navigation is 'arm length interface', searching for a place to go to is most assuredly not. Once it processes that voice command of yours, the displayed results are downright tiny.

Upvote 0
To bring this back from the dead...

Does anyone know if there have been any developments made in the STILL roundabout way you have to get to "Navigate to a Contact"

Right now I have still have to make like 8 steps, which is about 5 too many
for example:

1. Go to Maps
  2. Hit Menu / Options Button
  3. Hit Directions Button
  4. Make sure Car (Driving Directions) is Selected
  5. Tap the End Point Button
  6. Tap the Contacts Option (1st on the list)
  7. Select the Contact I want to Navigate To
  8. Finally Click GO
It should be as simple as
  1. Click Maps
  2. Hit Options
  3. Navigate to Contacts button
  4. Select Contact to Navigate to
  5. You're done, and it starts the calculations

I have looked and looked for a SIMPLE APP, that simply pulls the address from the contact list, and lets you create a shortcut to "Navigate to Address" and you can have a shortcut / icon on the home screen.

Or even to rapidly get to the selection screen in Step 7 above.

Upvote 0
Those are all work-arounds though. The whole point of voice search is, well, to use your voice... If I'm driving, it'd be nice to be able to push just 1 button and say "Navigate to <someones name>".

A google search shows this question seems to be asked an awful lot, one post (On Voice Search in Android "Navigate to <Contact Name>" - Google Mobile Help) even has an Android employee saying they'd take the suggestion to the team. That was a year ago and still the feature is missing. How hard can it be to look up your contacts?

Upvote 0
Ok... It was bugging me for a while, but I managed to find a decent workaround.

make sure you're at the latest release of Maps.

Go into the maps app and go to settings-> labs

Enable bubble buttons.

Now, from voice commands say the name of the contact you want to navigate to.

Select the name off your contact from the list that pops up

Select their address.

Now when maps shows you their pin point, their will be a navigation arrow.

Writing it out, it sound complicated, but in practice it's much easier than any other method i've found. Hope this helps some.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones