• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voicemail icon problem

Okay...if you haven't figured this out already: you have to dial *73 to cancel the call forwarding to Google voice you initially setup by dialing *71 followed by your cell number (but don't do his now!). After you do that, you can access your VZW voicemail normally by dialing *86.

Any one have any idea how I would go about forwarding certain calls to my GV voicemail? For example, I use GV for my business. I want anyone who calls my GV number to be sent to my GV mailbox and not my personal mailbox. If I change the voicemail settings on my phone to use GV, everyone that calls either number will be sent to my GV mailbox. If I set my voicemail settings to use my carrier, everyone who calls either number will be sent to my personal mailbox.

All I want is for people who call my GV number to be sent to my GV mailbox and people who call my personal number to be sent to my personal mailbox.

Thanks,
Kratos

Upvote 0
You were right, it somehow had gotten to my Verizon voicemail even though I had my GV as my voicemail active. What I had to do....and I thought I had already tried this but apparently hadn't, was to go to my settings of google voice on my computer and deactivate my google voicemail for my phone. Then I was able to call my Verizon voicemail and sure enough I had a voicemail there so I deleted it off and my icon was gone! Then I just reactivated my Google voice back on my phone and all is good. Thanks for your help again. Maybe this will save someone some time in the future.:D

I did all of the above and did get the notification icon off. I forwarded my phone so youmail picks it up but its still going to both my verizon voicemail and my youmail now. HELP!!!!

Upvote 0
Especially the tips to disable forwarding with *71 and also going into "phone settings -> call settings" and select verizon voicemail service in order to access the verizon mailbox. No idea how this one voicemail got into verizon's box instead of google voice, which I have been using for over a year without any problems.

Difference in icons of the two services:
* verizon's is a black scare with white 'tape recorder' symbol in it
* google voice is a black 'cloud' with a little white telephone in it

If it doesn't go away in the status bar, it's because the message has not been accessed and saved or deleted - because the right box was not accessed.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones