• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voodoo lagfix for Captivate is out

I heard that the lag-fixes might do permanent damages to your phone... Any truth to that, or is that why this Voodoo Lag Fix is significant over the OCLF2.0?

They work in different ways. OCLF, for example, adds a virtualization layer to your data partition and then runs a ext2 (17yo technology) on top of that. Which is a fragile, dangerous setup. Voodoo on the other hand uses a native ext4 filesystem but to do this it replaces your main kernel with a hacked one that is based on older code than what shipped with the Captivate, so it has quirks too... and when you "uninstall" Voodoo, it doesn't remove this hacked kernel. Perhaps this is the "permanent damage" you are thinking of.

Upvote 0
Is there actually a way to remove the hacked kernel then or is it going to be stuck like that for good?

I asked many times and never got a reasonable answer. While theoretically one could make a simple update.zip method to restore the original kernel that was as-easy as the method of installing the Voodoo hacked kernel, no one seems to be able to be bothered to actually do it.

I assume when the update to Froyo comes (to Canada for me), that hacked kernel would be replaced with the new "official" one then?

Not necessarily. The update could fail entirely if it does an integrity check and refuse to install due to finding unexpected versions of files present. We just don't know yet until we see it.

Reactions: narutoreplicate
Upvote 0
Reactions: jopet216
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones