• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VZW Gnex JellyBean binaries added to AOSP

I'm always a little hazy on what *exactly* this means in regards to having a factory build read to go. Is it the final step before one shows up? Is it only helpful for devs and ROM cooks?

It doesn't really mean that the Official OTA is around the corner, however it does mean that things are moving in the right direction. FWIW the binaries were added when JB was announced, but recently even those binaries were updated. Also YES this is really good for devs to build their Roms with.

Reactions: jbdan and Roaddog
Upvote 0
It doesn't really mean that the Official OTA is around the corner, however it does mean that things are moving in the right direction. FWIW the binaries were added when JB was announced, but recently even those binaries were updated. Also YES this is really good for devs to build their Roms with.

Much obliged. None of the news items really went into much depth as to what this meant for the average consumer, or why it was worth announcing at all so I appreciate the update. I knew it was helpful for ROM builders, but that was about it.

I'll be interested in seeing if now that the Verizon GNEX is kinda, sorta, mostly back underneath the AOSP umbrella if they're going to get this update out any faster than they did with 4.04. I think if they make an effort to get out of their own way and speed the updates through their overly protective "testing" process it would go a long way towards engendering some good will in the admittedly small but overly vocal enthusiast community.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones