• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VZW Incompatible SIM card error with self-cut card (phone recognizes SIM)

zephyr86

Lurker
May 24, 2014
I am trying to activate a Droid Razr Maxx HD on my line using my old SIM card from an HTC Thunderbolt. The HTC's card is one of the older larger ones, so I cut it down to match the size of the nano SIM card slot in the Droid.

The phone seems to recognize the SIM card fine. The message saying that there is no SIM card has gone away and in the phone's options my correct phone number is showing. However, when I try to activate the phone on the web (Verizon), I get an error message saying that my SIM card isn't compatible with the Droid. My assumption is that Verizon's activation protocol is assuming the card is the larger size that won't fit, but it does fit after my modifications and is recognized by the phone. Is there no way to force this without having to actually go in and get a new SIM?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones