• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Waived activation fee when buying from third-party retailer?

bxojr

Jul 26, 2010
I haven't bought a phone from a third-party retailer before, so I'm not sure how the process works. Hoping someone (maybe someone from Verizon?) can clarify for me.

If I buy a phone online using my employee discount, the activation fee is waived. If I instead buy the phone from a third-party retailer (in this case Best Buy), can I still get the activation fee waived?

Verizon's website indicates that the activation fee isn't charged until the first bill, so I'm hoping that I can get my account properly associated with my employee discount after the purchase and avoid the charge. But I'm not really sure how the activation process works.

I called Verizon's customer service, but unfortunately the lady I talked to did not seem to have a clue.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones