• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wake On Lan (WOL) App - anyone recommend one?

premiump

Nov 15, 2009
UK
Hi,

My PC at home is enabled for Wake On Lan (WOL), and I can turn it on at will from my laptop downstairs. I have done a quick search on the Market and found several apps that will turn my PC on using WOL.

What I want is to be able to turn my PC on using WOL whilst I'm at work. I have read that opening a port on my home router (port 9) will allow WOL traffic.

Does anyone use WOL from your Hero/Android handset? If so, which app do you use?

Hi, I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble. I just want to be able to press a button on my Hero, which send the magic packet over 3G, through my router and turns on my PC.

I can then use LogMeIn to do whatever I want.

WOL works within my my home lan, I just need to get the magic packet past the router (I think).

Thanks for the interest

Upvote 0
Whilst developing my app, I've been trying to handle all the magic packet malarki from my phone as opposed to connecting to my server inside my lan, which then sends the magic packet.

I need to configure my router to route outside sourced broadcast packets to the inside network, my LAN.

So far... my success has been limited to nothing :(. You'll have to find out how to configure your router though for forwarding broadcast packets to your local machines. Once you've done that, you'll be 90% of the way there!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones