Wake On Lan (WOL) App - anyone recommend one?

Last Updated:

1. premiump

premiump Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

My PC at home is enabled for Wake On Lan (WOL), and I can turn it on at will from my laptop downstairs. I have done a quick search on the Market and found several apps that will turn my PC on using WOL.

What I want is to be able to turn my PC on using WOL whilst I'm at work. I have read that opening a port on my home router (port 9) will allow WOL traffic.

Does anyone use WOL from your Hero/Android handset? If so, which app do you use?

Advertisement
  2. Feesh!

Feesh! New Member

Hey Premiump, I wrote YouTube - Prod-a-Feesh the other day, I'm in the process of making something a little more flexible (as most of it is really dependant on my network setup right now). If you need something in a short amount of time, I'd be happy to modify what I have to reflect what you need.

3. premiump

Hi, I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble. I just want to be able to press a button on my Hero, which send the magic packet over 3G, through my router and turns on my PC.

I can then use LogMeIn to do whatever I want.

WOL works within my my home lan, I just need to get the magic packet past the router (I think).

Thanks for the interest

4. ramiss

ramiss Well-Known Member

LogMeIn already has a function to wake a sleeping pc!

5. premiump

It does? Is it a paid option? I'll have a look I think

thx :D

6. premiump

It seems I can't use it:

"The Wake on LAN function requires at least one other LogMeIn host to be online and available on the same LAN. Please see the Pro

7. Feesh!

Feesh! New Member

Whilst developing my app, I've been trying to handle all the magic packet malarki from my phone as opposed to connecting to my server inside my lan, which then sends the magic packet.

I need to configure my router to route outside sourced broadcast packets to the inside network, my LAN.

So far... my success has been limited to nothing :(. You'll have to find out how to configure your router though for forwarding broadcast packets to your local machines. Once you've done that, you'll be 90% of the way there!

8. al_v

al_v New Member

Try this app - http://wakeonlan.me - it wake up directly from web.
    No actual software required or any host alive on your network.

9. premiump

10. joshums

joshums New Member

This is a new app, it does everything you need (aside from router configuration). You can send a packet, save it as a named profile, and even make a widget for firing off a saved profile.

The developer also has a blog post detailing how to set up a router to pass the packet through (uses a linksys router, but might be helpful for others as well).

Wol Wake on Lan Wan