• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Want root?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my phone is stuck at the bootloader (The LG/Life is Good Screen)
i'm hoping theres a keypress to hold on startup like on most other android phones that starts fastboot on the phone, i was using adb reboot-bootloader to get into fastboot before, but now my boot image is corrupted
The only key press I know is home, end, and volume up or down. But that does a master reset

Upvote 0
The only key press I know is home, end, and volume up or down. But that does a master reset

It would be awesome if that fixed it but i don't think it will cuz his boot is messed up in the phone so even if it resets it still won't boot...but who knows maybe I'm wrong

---- btw try doing combinations with USB cable plugged in that has known to work

Upvote 0
I am getting my LG Ally on Wednesday. I am more than willing to do all I can. I have been using linux and hacked several phones before, iphone help etc. I have never picked up an android and chose the Ally cause it seemed like the base of people wanting to root it compared to others is smaller than the rest. I want to root it cause I think it will make the LG Ally much more appreciated as I know it can do more than advertised.

I have studied as much as I can and I am waiting on the Ally to come in as it seems kfazz has found root but the boot.img is all thats left, minus a few other details. kfazz, if I can help you in any way let me know, if not, I will just pick up from here and have a go at it.

Upvote 0
I remember trying a bunch of keyboard combinations, and if I remember correctly, when I held the OK button during boot, I got a long buzz from the phone, and it went into a sort of 'safe mode'. Maybe that will get you past the boot hang.

thanks heffe2001, but i was unable to reproduce that. if anyone has irc and a linux box and wants to help me get an image of the bootloader (it's not in any of the mapped nand partitions) or wants my method for getting root and superuser.apk installed (without the bricking) i'll be in #Allyroot on irc.freenode.net

Upvote 0
thanks heffe2001, but i was unable to reproduce that. if anyone has irc and a linux box and wants to help me get an image of the bootloader (it's not in any of the mapped nand partitions) or wants my method for getting root and superuser.apk installed (without the bricking) i'll be in #Allyroot on irc.freenode.net

Hey I got ubuntu on my primary computer meet u there

Upvote 0
Might not have been the OK button, might have been something like volume down, and ok, or the down button on the keypad, and ok, etc. I never did get to where I was wanting to go tho, lol. I'm going to predict you guys will probably have this thing at least partially rooted (superuser and all) in a few days to a week, the progress is going pretty fast as-is now :).

Upvote 0
sorry for not knowing the specifics but i have been reading alot about the lg ally lately and i remember reading something about holding done power and r . i dont remember exactly what it does or if that is the right combo but i do remeber reading about it. sorry for th scatter brain hope it helps.

p.s. thanks for all your doing guys this is great

Upvote 0
Has anyone gotten the Ally to work with adb in windows? I can't seem to get the drivers installed. I did turn on usb debugging and this just gave me "(5) LG modems" under other devices, none of which would take the adb driver from the sdk. Am I missing something or is the rest of you on Linux?

I was able to get it going on Windows yesterday, but we had to go to linux to try the root because my Windows 7 couldn't install the drivers for USB debugging, well it wasn't me that was doing it kfazz did through teamview.

Upvote 0
I was able to get it going on Windows yesterday, but we had to go to linux to try the root because my Windows 7 couldn't install the drivers for USB debugging, well it wasn't me that was doing it kfazz did through teamview.

I had to finally give up. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I would consider myself a power user (at least on the Windows side) and I couldn't get the drivers to work in W7x64 or Virtual XP mode.

I'm now installing Ubuntu...

Upvote 0
I was able to get adb working with Win7 x64, didn't have any real trick to it or anything, I just set it up in usb debug mode for use with PDAnet, and used their install files for the PC. When I went to use adb after doing all that a couple days beforehand, it worked fine (although I didn't have root access, I could push and pull files, etc).

Upvote 0
I was able to get adb working with Win7 x64, didn't have any real trick to it or anything, I just set it up in usb debug mode for use with PDAnet, and used their install files for the PC. When I went to use adb after doing all that a couple days beforehand, it worked fine (although I didn't have root access, I could push and pull files, etc).

Nice! Pdanet drivers worked, thanks!

Edit: When I follow the steps to root, I only end up with a $ (shell access), not a # (root access). I don't receive any error messages and everything seems to work.

Upvote 0
Nice! Pdanet drivers worked, thanks!

Edit: When I follow the steps to root, I only end up with a $ (shell access), not a # (root access). I don't receive any error messages and everything seems to work.

Yeah me and kfazz tried rooting my phone 2 or 3 times yesterday with same results, I'm guessing he'll get it fixed soon, for now no root I guess.

EDIT:
NVM ON THE NO ROOTING, IT WORKS YOU JUST GOTTA MOUNT YOUR SDCARD IN THE PHONE WHEN YOU CONNECT IT TO USB.

Big thanks to kfuzz and crepiduse for rooting my phone!!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones