• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to buy a SGS...

THE ANDROID

Android Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2010
PlayStation Network
Is the Samsung Galaxy S really that bad? I've looked at nearly all the threads and there seem to be problems with wifi, kies, 2.2, gps, messages, lag etc

So is the phone really that bad?

I just sold my Desire HD and plan on selling my iPhone 4 for a Samsung Galaxy S and an iPod Touch, would that be a good move or not?

I really like the TouchWiz UI and the phones hardware but all these threads have put me of it but it seemed fine in the shops when I tried it. :thinking:

You must be the only person who likes the TW launcher, I replaced TW on my omnia with spb shell and with ADW on the Galaxy S.
The hardware as far as I can tell rivals anything else out there and in some cases beats the competition hands down.
Now, as for the wifi, kies, 2.2, gps, messages, lag etc, that's a whole different story.
I am a member on many different forums ( bikes, cars, phones etc ) and with the exception of 1 or 2 they are mostly populated by people complaining about something.
As many complaints as you see on here you have to remember Samsung have sold millions of these units and for the most part people are happy.
I am running mine stock (apart from ADW) on 2.1

Upvote 0
TW launcher is fine. I have no issue with it. It's up to individual. People who are okay with it, tends not to comment, when people who have problems with it, talks a LOT.

lag: there is some issue, but it is easily solved by installing apps from the Market for those not inclined to mess with the phone too much.

kies: HUGE issue... if it was the iTune equivalent. Luckily, this being an Android phone, it means you can restrict the use of kies only to official firmware upgrades (via the official method), which is few and far between.

wifi and messages, I haven't really experience any problems so ...

GPS was total crap. I had to do the faster fix (no apps to fix this as far as I can tell), and it seemed to have worked. Tbh, i wasn't really a heavy users of GPS in the first place.

To summarize, SGS is a superior hardware (except maybe the GPS), and for everything else, there is xda. lol

Reactions: THE ANDROID
Upvote 0
I think most android phone owners want to customise many features to create the 'perfect phone' (which really doesn't exist unless you have very low demands on your phone). So when things don't go our way, we get frustrated. I did quite a bit of research before purchasing the phone, so I knew it won't be as simple as the iphone out of the box, but I've not had any significant issues so far. To me, an android phone is like a computer that can make calls: I can make it completely unique to my needs and personality, but must be prepared to learn through trial and error. So that's my mentality and I've been pleased with my phone so far. :)

I own the I-9000 (international model) and stay in Southeast Asia. GPS is fine, Touchwiz is okay but lacking customisation (e.g. changing dock), Kies is iffy with Windows 7 but I still managed to upgrade to Froyo with hardly any difficulties. No problems with messaging, Swype took a little while to learn, and lag--real or perceived--gets fixed by using Zeam launcher.

All in all, I only wish there are more accessories readily available as well as more people who own the phone (or other android phones for that matter). Perhaps you may want to weigh the pros and cons of the SGS and the iphone and decide which you issues can and cannot live with.

Reactions: THE ANDROID
Upvote 0
The only thing i liked on the iPhone 4 was the App Store and its super awesome resolution. I plan on picking up the iPhone 5 in July though but everything I use my iPhone for, web browsing and YouTube is much better on Android. So if I got an iPod Touch, I wouldn't have the phone ability.

After seeing the AMOLED screen on my Nokia N8, I can not go back to a phone with an LCD screen. The Samsung Galaxy S seems to have the best hardware on a phone right now as well and the blue/black UI looks pretty nice.
The microsim feature is annoying as well, I couldn't switch sims from my Nokia N8 to iPhone 4 when I want but if I had Nokia N8 and Samsung Galaxy S, I could switch when I want.

I run Mac OS X Snow Leopard/Windows 7 64bit on MacBook Pro as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones