• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to feel a bit smug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HA! Serves apple right. They did the same thing microsquat did. Hit it big and then got a big head.
Greed and arrogance are not qualities that keep a company afloat these days. And ignoring what the consumer wants and what the consumer can afford ends up putting a company like apple in the back seat.
With androids rise in popularity. It would not be surprising to see the Android OS begin to encroach on both windows and apple OS (whatever they are calling it today).
It only makes it sweeter that Android is a linux OS. Beavis and Buthead (Apple/Microsoft) probably don't see it as a threat, but they should. It has already displaces one phone OS, is (not iOS either) hacking away real good at it though. Win7Phone probably wont catch up.
For however long PCs have left, Android may end up taking over a large part of the computer OS market.

Upvote 0
I don't understand the point of this post. Did you feel hard-done-by when the iPhone4 was top of the most wanted list?

Why should anyone feel anything about a result like this? Being the "most desired" or "most popular" doesn't mean that the object in question is the best does it?

The single most popular device in the USA is the iPhone4. Does that mean that the iPhone is better over there than the Desire? No, of course it doesn't.

If someone requires validation of their smartphone purchases via opinion polls then they're probably not old enough to own one.

Grow up people.

Upvote 0
I don't understand the point of this post. Did you feel hard-done-by when the iPhone4 was top of the most wanted list?

Why should anyone feel anything about a result like this? Being the "most desired" or "most popular" doesn't mean that the object in question is the best does it?

The single most popular device in the USA is the iPhone4. Does that mean that the iPhone is better over there than the Desire? No, of course it doesn't.

If someone requires validation of their smartphone purchases via opinion polls then they're probably not old enough to own one.

Grow up people.
Or, you may get some perspective on this issue instead of concluding people only need validation. Many people here will probably know the problem of Mactards mocking Android owners, or what about people constantly calling it an "iPhone knock off" - it's not a big deal but it tends to annoy. Of course since you're always the one to kissing Apple's ass on this forum, I'm not surprised you jumped on our case - I'd say "grow up" yourself.

Not to mention it's also good to see a giant company which is arrogant, greedy, restrictive and seedy to take a bit of a tumble - the iPhone brought smart phones to the public, now it's up to affordable phones to win out over fashion over function. As a technical person, the whole "fashion over function" thing simply irks me as it will irk many here.

Or how about this article confirming that Android is becoming far more popular and thus the market is growing meaning more and better app support.

So basically - stop complaining when people see such articles as a good thing. If people want to use it to confirm they made the right choice, what's wrong with that?

Upvote 0
With regards to "kissing Apple's ass" I have to say I take issue with that comment. I have tried many, many times to point out that some of the things people say about the iPhone4 are patently false. Threads in this forum have been plagued with what amounts to disinformation considering that people have come here to make an informed decision about where to spend their hard-earned cash.

The iPhone4, like the Desire, is an astonishingly great piece of tech. It both beats, and is beaten by, the Desire in different aspects of form and functionality. Pointing this out is not ass-kissing. It's being honest.

The business practices of Apple are totally irrelevant in a comparison of devices. If one decides to boycott a company for moral, ethical or some other concern that's fine but it has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of their product.

Or how about this article confirming that Android is becoming far more popular and thus the market is growing meaning more and better app support.

So what? Why does this entitle anyone to a sense of one-upmanship? Firstly, the Android Marketplace is still leagues behind the app store and secondly popularity is irrelevant with regards to the quality of a particular device. Up until last year Symbian devices were the most popular smartphones. Were they the best? - No!

I guess there's nothing inherently wrong with using irrelevant opinion polls as validation for the choices one makes in life - it's just immature, short-sighted and rather sad.

Post like these simply replicate the attitude of the so-called "Mactards" you seem to despise. Good job.

Upvote 0
That's a fantastic point above, android needs positive publicity to get supported by a greater range of app and hardware developers.

How easy is it to get an iphone dock these days in shops? Answer is very, but can you find a dock for android phones, or a natwest app, or the general level of support that apple has now.

Every article like this will mean that android gets the publicity and notoriety to move forward with people poised to jump ship, developers need to be aware of the growing popularity of a system to support it.

Upvote 0

Grow up people.

If you were to talk to any advertising executive they would inform you that there are two types of people that read/watch/listen to adverts. Those that are in the market to buy a product and those who have just bought the product and would like a bit of reassurance that they made the right choice. It

Upvote 0
Widehead, people here are not looking or posting threads like this for validation of their purchases. This is more a discussion on operating systems and support there of. We here have already made our choice, what we are interested in is allowing our choice to grow as quickly as possible as apple had enjoyed a bit of an monopoly on developer support. Things are shifting and all who support android are interesting in these things.

Thank you to op for highlighting this interesting article.

Upvote 0
Every article like this will mean that android gets the publicity and notoriety to move forward with people poised to jump ship, developers need to be aware of the growing popularity of a system to support it.

I agree with this 100%

If you were to talk to any advertising executive they would inform you that there are two types of people that read/watch/listen to adverts.

Nice factoid. But irrelevant to the discussion.

I made the right choice.

Again, popularity does not equate to your choice being anything other than the "best thing for you" and it certainly has no bearing on the quality of any other device.

And by the way, do try and read and at the same time comprehend what you are reading, it

Upvote 0
Well I think the article is interesting. with this being a desire forum, I can think of no reason why it shouldn't be posted.

But widehead, why do you jump into every thread that mentions iPhone and defend it? I'm not saying that its not worth defending but this thread posted a news article.

By jumping in how you did, you turned it Into the whole apple / android debate all over again. A debate it seems, you love to play a part in.

The article is about how popular each device is. The op was not saying anything harsh about the iPhone until you stepped in.

Tedium

Upvote 0
The article is about how popular each device is. The op was not saying anything harsh about the iPhone until you stepped in.

What?! WHAT?!

The whole point of the thread was about feeling "smug" wasn't it?

And my points were also aimed at the second poster who, I think you'll find, spends an entire post ranting about Apple.

Here's the deal:

The Desire is an amazing phone.
The iPhone4 is an amazing phone.

Popularity of a device says nothing about its quality.

The fact that more people are buying Desires does not mean they are better than any other phone.

Ergo there's nothing to be smug about.

Upvote 0
with this being a desire forum, I can think of no reason why it shouldn't be posted.

Agreed

you turned it Into the whole apple / android debate all over again. A debate it seems, you love to play a part in.
Agreed

Then it got messy, involving OS evangalism, general Apple hate, and some needless personal remarks.

/closed

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones