Warning about Google+ App downloading 100's of MB over 3G

1. happyskeptic

happyskeptic Member

Today, after getting warnings that my Nexus 4 was almost out of space, I used the app Clean Master to clear out cached files from various apps. In particular it removed nearly 300MB of Google+ cache, something I was happy to do since I rarely use Google+ and even if I did use it wouldn't want it to cache so much junk on my phone.

The phone hasn't been on Wifi all day and now several hours later I've just gotten a warning that my monthly 1GB of 3G data is almost used. Settings->Data Usage shows that Google+ has used over 900MB in just the last few hours, caching and uploading stuff - something I never configured, never asked for and in an app I've never used (I've only used Google+ through a web browser on a laptop)!

I've disabled Google+ and I recommend anyone who has less than unlimited 3G data allowance on their plan do the same!

(If anyone can find where to submit bugs about the Google+ app let me know, I can't it)

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

It's strange that this unwanted data usage only showed up after using Clean Master. The only thing I can think of causing it is the Google Plus "Auto backup" setting being enabled, causing all photos/videos on the device to be uploaded.
  3. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

Strange. Somehow cleaning the app changed the settings of Google plus to do anything over 3g. My data is mainly music and YouTube.
  4. Tagsfordroid

Tagsfordroid Member

google plus will re-download the temp files/cache as soon as clean master deletes it. We have not seen any way to disable this. It seems to be downloading all images and videos that are on the google+ photo album, but cant be sure.
    Make sure you set google+ to only upload photos and videos while on wifi. It seems that this will make it only download while on wifi (though cant be sure).
    In summary, do not delete the google+ cache. It will just come back.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

There's a setting in G+ to use WiFi only for when it's doing whatever it does, like syncing photos and videos. The default might be to be always on.