• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WARNING - Do Not Use ROM Manager!!!

Do we have any opinions on ROM Toolbox. I've been using that for the past couple of month, just the free version so far. But seems to offer what ROM Manager did plus lots more, but not sure if it could have the same issues...
dont know what it is. never heard of it or who makes it.
ill do some research and get back to you

Reactions: countstex
Upvote 0
Hello :)

I would like to root my HTC Desire so to use a custom ROM...
I want to ask two things:

1 - If i choose a custom ROM with "ROM Manager" as Starburst ROM, would it be SAVE as i will not use the ROM Manager and i will uninstall it.

2 - If even something went bad, will this brick my HTC permenantly , or i still can use original RUU Roms to restore my phone to its factory state.

I hope u could help me, as i have my phone for 1 year now and i never rooted and installed any custom ROM before.

Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
Hello :)

I would like to root my HTC Desire so to use a custom ROM...
I want to ask two things:

1 - If i choose a custom ROM with "ROM Manager" as Starburst ROM, would it be SAVE as i will not use the ROM Manager and i will uninstall it.

2 - If even something went bad, will this brick my HTC permenantly , or i still can use original RUU Roms to restore my phone to its factory state.

I hope u could help me, as i have my phone for 1 year now and i never rooted and installed any custom ROM before.

Thanks in advance :)

Do you mean SAFE? Many roms come with rom manager, yes it is safe, just uninstall it. This thread is about flashing roms with rom manager....THAT IS UNSAFE!. Do everything from recovery, it is just as quick and easy. As for no.2, you can usually recover things with an RUU. Just dont go flashing radios, as a radio brick is usually a true brick. :)

Reactions: SaNaNToNiO
Upvote 0
How do I uninstall this ROM Manager...?

I have used the revolutionary method and flashed to CM 7.1

But under manage aplications I can only select uninstall updates...?

(Will it be safe to uninstall updates...?) I'm new to this rooting thing so I do not want to "brake" my perfect running phone just to remove a program I just can choose not to use... ;)

Upvote 0
How do I uninstall this ROM Manager...?

I have used the revolutionary method and flashed to CM 7.1

But under manage aplications I can only select uninstall updates...?

(Will it be safe to uninstall updates...?) I'm new to this rooting thing so I do not want to "brake" my perfect running phone just to remove a program I just can choose not to use... ;)
if you used revolutionary you are s-off
you need to use a tool like root explorer and navigate to /system/app
click the option to mount as R/W then delete rommanager.apk

or you can boot to recovery
connect device to pc
in recovery choose the option to mount system
on pc open cmd and do the collowing
adb shell
cd /system/app/
ls (this will show all your apps in system)
rm thenameoftheapp.apk
reboot

for the last one you do not need to be s-off however you will need to have android sdk tools installed as per our other guides for it to work

Upvote 0
I take it that ROM Manager came with your ROM (trying to guess why you are only being offered the option to uninstall updates)? If so, since you are S-Off you should still be able to uninstall it with Titanium Backup. Or you can just delete the apk from /system/app using Root Explorer (or ES File Explorer if you want something free) then clean up the dalvik cache to be neat about things (using Titianium, or wipe it from recovery).

It's certainly safe to uninstall updates, and the app itself, if you are not going to use it :)

Upvote 0
I take it that ROM Manager came with your ROM (trying to guess why you are only being offered the option to uninstall updates)? If so, since you are S-Off you should still be able to uninstall it with Titanium Backup. Or you can just delete the apk from /system/app using Root Explorer (or ES File Explorer if you want something free) then clean up the dalvik cache to be neat about things (using Titianium, or wipe it from recovery).

It's certainly safe to uninstall updates, and the app itself, if you are not going to use it :)

I can verify that Titanium Backup does uninstall ROM Manager in CM7.1 :)

Quick question about Dalvik Cache, is it safe to delete it all from recovery?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones