• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warning...Storage Full!

EJB986

Nov 19, 2017
Galaxy J3 2017.
Warning16GB storage is full to around 15.4.
Have cleared the cache on virtually all apps.
Removed a couple not used.
Looking via my PC can only find about 4.1 GB used by apps.
Docs/Images/Videos etc are all empty.
How can I find the 11 or 12 GBs that don't show or is that simply the operating system that can't be interfered with?

Have an extra SD card storage but it is only at 50% everything that can be moved to the card has been moved.
PS. I have removed updates from quite a few apps with little effect.
PSS. Will replace phone in a few weeks but need it running well until then!

Please?

Last edited:
You should ignore what you're seeing from your PC, it's running a different operating system and using different file system than your phone. Basically you're only going to see a limited, restricted in scope view of what's actually stored on your phone.
Instead, use the Settings >> Storage menu that's in your phone to get a better, more accurate reflection on what's actually stored in your phone's internal storage. Or use a file manager app, that's also a native Android utility running on your Android device. The installed Android operating system is going to take up a substantial amount but there should be a sizable amount of storage left. So there's likely to be some file or files that are taking up a lot of storage space.
But if you're going to be switching to a new phone soon anyway, weigh your options on how much space you do need just to get by.

Upvote 0
One thing to note is that the operating system takes up some of that storage. Some devices can be ~10Gb for the system partition. In that case, a 16GB device would only have around 6GB available.

The free app Disk Usage is pretty good about showing exactly where your storage is being used.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones