• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Watching the World Cup

hugo1

Lurker
Jun 8, 2010
Hey guys, i have a job which means i will be working pretty much any time a world cup game is on, but i will have my phone on me (HTC magic) and i was wondering if any one had any suggestions of how i could watch any of the games on it. I know they will be on BBC and ITV in england (where i will be) so is there any way of getting a live stream of those channels (may be some kind of app??) any help would be greatly appriciated, cheers

I too am looking for the same thing. I have an ESPN360 account but you can't stream that from android I don't think.

It's now ESPN3 (rather than 360).

It works on my Droid with WIFI ONLY (3G it says not supported or something) and it requires Flash (so Android 2.2).

Just FYI, it's super choppy at first, then smooths out after a bit. Then gets choppy from time to time...

I have much better luck with the streams from Justin TV...

Upvote 0
Justin TV works on android? My Devour only runs on 1.6, though I'm switching phones to one with either 2.1 or 2.2.

It works with Flash 10.1 on Android 2.2 (which is what I am running). So it should work on Nexus One also. I'm not sure if Justin TV works with Flash Lite though (which most older phones have).

I just checked a hocky game and the stream was incredibly smooth over wifi...

Upvote 0
If you're in the UK there is an app in the market called beebplayer - which is kind alike the iplayer. I don't know if the WC will be streamed over the iplayer (fifa licensing restrictions and all) but worth checking out. It wil ldrain your battery like a mutha...

Anway - I noticed Ladbrokes quietly released a betting app into the market last night called kickoff. Looks to be a world cup betting app where you can follow the teams and make traditional bets on them (like first goal scorer, win-draw-win etc). It's integrated with the online account so if you already have an account just download and away you go.

Pretty sweet.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
type the address m.tvcatchup.com in your mobile browser as its the best way to watch matches if you're in the uk just sign up for a free account!!

It DOESN'T need flash and works with any mobile phone capable of accessing it ive tested on a Blackberry 8520 and a W995

Be sure to type the address in as you see it because going through normal www. doesn't work!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones