Watching the World Cup

Last Updated:

1. hugo1

hugo1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, i have a job which means i will be working pretty much any time a world cup game is on, but i will have my phone on me (HTC magic) and i was wondering if any one had any suggestions of how i could watch any of the games on it. I know they will be on BBC and ITV in england (where i will be) so is there any way of getting a live stream of those channels (may be some kind of app??) any help would be greatly appriciated, cheers

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I havent heard of any app yet. If you have a tv tuner in your computer, or a streambox, you can stream your own channels to your phone.

3. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

I too am looking for the same thing. I have an ESPN360 account but you can't stream that from android I don't think.

4. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

It's now ESPN3 (rather than 360).

It works on my Droid with WIFI ONLY (3G it says not supported or something) and it requires Flash (so Android 2.2).

Just FYI, it's super choppy at first, then smooths out after a bit. Then gets choppy from time to time...

I have much better luck with the streams from Justin TV...

5. jradicle11

Justin TV works on android? My Devour only runs on 1.6, though I'm switching phones to one with either 2.1 or 2.2.

6. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

It works with Flash 10.1 on Android 2.2 (which is what I am running). So it should work on Nexus One also. I'm not sure if Justin TV works with Flash Lite though (which most older phones have).

I just checked a hocky game and the stream was incredibly smooth over wifi...

7. jradicle11

But it doesn't work at all over 3g?

I guess Verizon offers the world cup through their VCast mobile. I believe there's a monthly fee though.

8. lettcco

lettcco Member

if you have sprint, sprint TV ESPN channel offers all 56 games for free (well you already paid for it with your monthly payment)

Sprint | News Release

9. thebigshazbowski

thebigshazbowski Member

If you're in the UK there is an app in the market called beebplayer - which is kind alike the iplayer. I don't know if the WC will be streamed over the iplayer (fifa licensing restrictions and all) but worth checking out. It wil ldrain your battery like a mutha...

Anway - I noticed Ladbrokes quietly released a betting app into the market last night called kickoff. Looks to be a world cup betting app where you can follow the teams and make traditional bets on them (like first goal scorer, win-draw-win etc). It's integrated with the online account so if you already have an account just download and away you go.

Pretty sweet.

10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Op is from england, offering us apps won't help him lol.

Hugo you can stream those channels live at www.yamgo.mobi also keep an eye out at www.tvcatchup.com for their android service, or just that site on your work pc

hugo1 likes this.
  11. hugo1

hugo1 New Member This Topic's Starter

12. Amandapanda801

Amandapanda801 Member

Can't wait for the game tonight!!!

13. Mohsin

Mohsin Active Member

Try Watch live mobile TV on Yamgo : I've been using it for watching the World Cup when I'm out and about myself, works like TV Catchup, only with fewer channels, and works without 2.2. Crucially, it has BBC and ITV1 - just sign up online, and then log in on your phone and check it out!

14. Onyxlion

Onyxlion New Member

type the address m.tvcatchup.com in your mobile browser as its the best way to watch matches if you're in the uk just sign up for a free account!!

It DOESN'T need flash and works with any mobile phone capable of accessing it ive tested on a Blackberry 8520 and a W995

Be sure to type the address in as you see it because going through normal www. doesn't work!!

15. thomas9usa

thomas9usa New Member

i have sprint with sprint tv, so im watching the world cup on espn mobile, my phone is htc hero with google. Really nice cause im work all day..

16. lolwiki

lolwiki Well-Known Member

I have a crappy G1 phone so I can't stream videos directly. There are apps that let you have real time updates on the scores / substitutes / major events etc.

I'm using 2010 World Cup application to get all the live scores in text format.

World Cup Apps