Weird mark on my desire screen

Last Updated:

1. taz12

taz12 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, had my desire for 4 days and its been great so far. However I've just noticed a weird looking mark on the screen. I can't wipe it off and its only really noticeable when the phone screen is blank, but its really annoying to have something like this after only 4 days. The phone has barely been out the house as well. Heres a pic, had to breath on the screen to make it show up better:
    [​IMG]

Should I be phoning my provider (three mobile) to get a replacement? I have no idea whats caused this, looks like it might even be under the screen but I can't tell. I can still use the phone fine and it looks ok when its on or under a dark background, but I don't know if its a serious problem with the screen and wouldn't want it to get worse. Any advice would be helpful.

Advertisement
  2. EnochRoot

EnochRoot Active Member

Dude, you mean that black squiggly thing that looks like a oil leak?? Do you think you can take a slightly clearer picture - use "macro" mode on your camera.

Doesn't look normal at all!

Replace!!!

3. mat

mat Well-Known Member

Thats not right, definitely take it back asap.

4. jason-567

jason-567 Well-Known Member

must be the lcd screen leaking :p

5. ukzen

ukzen Well-Known Member

Have you sneezed near it ?,been in the sea at Florida ,no? ,then i would take it back ,not right

6. taz12

The thing is the screen looks completely normal when its turned on, kind of annoying though I hope I get a replacement without any hassle. Tried taking another pic but the macro mode on my camera is not very good, the mark is hard to see without smudging the surrounding area.
    [​IMG]

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Looks like a scratch to me.

Been keeping it in your pocket?

8. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

Nah that's not a scratch.

You can easily send it back for a replacement, your carrier won't have an issue with it. But it's your choice, you say it doesn't show when the screen is on, so it's your call if you'd rather fix it and go without your phone for a few days to a few weeks, depending (probably days), or live with it.

9. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

If it was LCD leak, it'd be clearly visible with the screen on.

If a good screen wipe (or glasses wipe) doesnt do anything, then looks like a glass issue.

10. taz12

No, its actually barely been out my house, I don't think its a scratch because the area is completely smooth, it looks almost oily but the surface of the touchscreen is completely smooth even over the affected area. If its a glass issue I would still want it replaced.

I'm hoping three mobile don't give me any trouble when I seek a replacement because its quite an expensive phone and I don't want the fault to develop and get more serious. I've been reading up about a common problem called newton rings on htc devices, which is something to do with the layers under the touchscreen becoming seperated, it might be something similar. Well thanks everyone for the advice.