• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weird text messages

I am getting very annoying text messages from 999-999-9999. Nothing but random letters mixed with symbols. So far it has been twice a day, 5 or 6 messages in a row. Anyone else getting this?
I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S2 if that matters.

That 999... number is a fake/masked number used for spam texts, harassing calls and various other nefarious junk. It's been around for years.

Just use your carrier's block feature and/or your device's "ignore" or "reject" feature.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry for sounding rude, but did you even read the post?

My take on this is that you're running a Rom which is not Virgin specific. The MMS receive on the phone is different from other operators. The fix will work to receive MMS's if you're not using CM10.1 or above. However, if you've not rooted/romed your phone then you need to send it back as it's got the wrong firmware on it. I bet you haven't had a picture message either.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm looking into this again for my own curiosity.

Back in 2011, I had the same problem. Blocking the number didn't work for me, but one day between classes, I sent a reply back that just said: "Stop." I had been getting the texts frequently and it was becoming a hassle to have my phone on hand when I was out of the house. To this day, I have not received another message. Not sure if the fun had passed or if they didn't want to bother with someone who would outright tell them to knock it off. Either way, it probably wasn't the smartest thing I could have done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones