• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

went to att store and no mail rebate available

The fact that the phone is subsidized means that whoever is the retailer is paying for part of the phone. You pay for the rest. In effect, the phone is still 499.99, but you aren't paying for the whole thing. As such, you have to pay taxes on the 499.99. That is my theory behind the logic.

Your logic is jacked... you must be a politician...

Upvote 0
The fact that the phone is subsidized means that whoever is the retailer is paying for part of the phone. You pay for the rest. In effect, the phone is still 499.99, but you aren't paying for the whole thing. As such, you have to pay taxes on the 499.99. That is my theory behind the logic.

Except for the fact that with a manafacturer coupon you pay tax since the money is being reimbursed but with a store coupon you do not pay tax because it is a discount that the store is giving you and the balance will not be repaid. These both hold true under CA law yet they added this one in. This is not a manafacturer discount it is an in store discount and no money changes hands. It is pure and simple a money grap buy those in Sac. I remember that there were debates about the fact that the law in and of itself might be illegal by violatiing other statues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones