• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What am I missing?

This is my first smartphone. I was due for renewal & decided to finally go for something more than just calls & texting, so I got it for 1-cent through AmazonWireless (beats $79 in-store). So far, I've used it for calls, texting, a little bit of photos, and occasionally glancing at my e-mail. I've downloaded Amazon Kindle & got a free e-book (Adventures of Sherlock Holmes), and I downloaded a couple of free games. I've browsed a couple of websites & I've got over 1000 songs on it, too.

But I dunno...I just feel like I'm not getting as much out of it as I could be. I know its not "top-of-the-line" as far as smartphones, and I'm not complaining "it should come with more stuff" either. I feel like I could just as easily use my portable mp3 player (its tiny) or carry around a real book...and neither would drain my cell battery.

Re-reading my post as I'm writing it, I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining. I got what I paid for, I understand that. I guess maybe what I'm trying to do is ask what features I might be missing simply because I don't realize they're there. Maybe I just don't have a real need for a smartphone at this point in my life. But people with smartphones tend to love their smartphones...so what am I missing about it? :thinking:

I already knew what I was going to respond to you, and then you touched on it yourself in your last paragraph. If you find yourself wondering what the heck the point of these things are, you probably just happen to be one of the people who don't really need a smartphone in the first place. I'm one too. I love this phone, but I still just call and text people lol. Or maybe it's just that people have some exaggerated idea of what a smartphone is. It really is just a fancier way to check your email, make calls, text, go online, and have your MP3s with you.

Upvote 0
as far as productivity youve got email, web, and calendar+ scheduler apps and such. But outside of that its about the fun, games. Changing the look and feel of the phone. For your first smart phone you chose a good one. It will give you a good taste. I mean there are other things you can do like tether. browse the market, look at the top apps. Personally my phone is everything, im on it all day everyday. But some people just have no real need for one

Upvote 0
There's something I'm missing...calendar/scheduler. I'm terrible at keeping track of plans & appointments, so bad at it that my wife keeps a weekly schedule posted for me so I always know what's coming up. Question is, if I use an app to keep track of my plans/appts, will I remember to check it frequently? Is there any particular app you can recommend that I can set to notify me, say, 2 or 3 days ahead of time that something is coming up?

Upvote 0
Well I felt the same way you did at one time. Say about 10 or so months ago. Now when I leave it at home or battery is dead I feel like someone has cut my arm off. Well its a better way of Staying connected. Sending mobile uploads to face book Using the rooted apps is a Huge plus.

My favorite is Wireless Tethering. I can have the internet on 90% of the computers out there today through my phone.

Lets see watching videos, Uploading to you tube.
The Call Filter app is worth its weight in gold. Makes it where unwanted calls.... just stop. I LOVE IT.

The Gps IS AWESOME!!!!. just say Wallmart and it takes you there.
Also you can use the GPS in Tandom with the places app. Lets say man I need some good CHineese but I am not in my neck of the woods. Go to places find a 5 star Chineese and then send that to the GPS and it takes you there.

Coupon apps..... SAVE YOU MONEY.... AWESOMENESS!!!

Compass tells ya where your going.

Geocache app If your into Geocaching.

Oh yeah the Redbox app. LOVE IT. you just sit in your car you get the movie while others are scurrying from redbox to redbox not knowing if their movie is even there. And all the while you are secretly taking it from them. LOL

Taking pictures and videos of the kids anytime. PRICELESS!!!

Flash card apps for Childrens learning.

Video Games

A calculator always at your fingertips.

An awesome customizable Alarm clock.

Constant Weather updates

A powerful bright Flashlight.

Tracking your wifes... ahem Aunt Flow... (you know what I mean guys) So you know when yo go over to your friends house. LOL

Paying bills. Also the Verizon bill app

Police light flasher for Emergencies or for flaging your friend in a dark theatre.

Set CPU overclocking (if you dont want to use the Scripts)

Police scanner for knowledge of traffic and whatever you want to know about Police chatter.

Skype Mobile for making calls to your Skype friends.

G talk for chating with your Gmail friends. Similarly Tweeting.

Tikl... The free Walkie Talkie. A push to talk Network like Nextel

Microsoft office tools. Make your own powerpoint from your phone. Awesome.

Unit converter. converts almost Any measurement

Voice Recorder.

Note pad for the grocery store.

Zedge For free ringtones.

Bubble level. is basically a pocket level.

Instant Pdf capabilities.

Being able to fax documents without a fax machine.

AND A HUGE FAVORITE>>>>> You Version Bible. I take Gods Word everywhere and can Quote scripture faster than ever.

And this is all that I could think of there is so much more I learn somthing New almost every day.

Play with it...... trust me you will find your way and be all.... How did I live without this stupid device. LOL

Hope that helps gettin ya started. ;)

Reactions: ChaunceyK
Upvote 0

Today's word of the day is "overwhelmed!"

I'm guessing the bulk of those are downloadable (not built-in) apps? Just as a "for instance" I looked at my apps & didn't see a Flashlight or a Tikl.

Maybe that's all I need, a little guidance with apps. That's what really has me overwhelmed, I browse the Market & see so many apps available, but I have no idea what's really useful, stable, and non-invasive...even the reviews vary greatly from "its the best app ever" to "beware, it does *this, that, and the other thing* to your phone!"

I'll check out official app forums in the future, but since I've got this thread going anyway, can someone recommend a free Flashlight app with no advertisements or anything invasive?

Upvote 0
Chauncey:

You can use the native calendar app to keep your schedule and appointments. Set it up throught google calendar (can also use google calendar on your PC) and you set up reminders which show up on your status bar. And google calendar will even email reminders so that you don't have to worry if you forgot to check the calendar app.

DZ

Upvote 0
Today's word of the day is "overwhelmed!"

I'm guessing the bulk of those are downloadable (not built-in) apps? Just as a "for instance" I looked at my apps & didn't see a Flashlight or a Tikl.

Maybe that's all I need, a little guidance with apps. That's what really has me overwhelmed, I browse the Market & see so many apps available, but I have no idea what's really useful, stable, and non-invasive...even the reviews vary greatly from "its the best app ever" to "beware, it does *this, that, and the other thing* to your phone!"

I'll check out official app forums in the future, but since I've got this thread going anyway, can someone recommend a free Flashlight app with no advertisements or anything invasive?
I got your back bro.

Just install this. It s the best one out there.
Flashlight.apk
Just use Astro FileManager Downloadable from the Market to install it. :D

Also Yes the majority of apps that I mentioned are redily downloadable from the market.
If you have questions I or another member here would be happy to assist you.

Enjoy

Reactions: ChaunceyK
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones