• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What can we safely do with the kyocera hydro?

kcerica

Dec 20, 2010
I'm not really sure what is safe to do with this phone. I guess it's kinda limited having the locked bootloader and I don't want to chance anything since there's no custom recovery.

I rooted the phone so now I am wondering what can be safely removed from the system. I think it's only going to be used as a wifi device so I'm not sure if I can safely remove the phone app and I want to remove the messenger and voicemail. I was also planning on removing BoostZone, google play magazines, google plus, homescreen tips, mobile id... I'm not sure about android keyboard & dictionary (since it already has swype installed we shouldn't need 2,) & I want to remove the launcher and browser and replace it with a different launcher and browser. I don't see anything for the lockscreen so I'm not sure if it's tied in with the launcher or not.

I know with the locked bootloader I can't install custom kernels or ROMs but I would also like to underclock it a little to help save battery and change some transition animations to make it smoother. I'm not what the limitations are with cpu apps and other system modification apps that you can install from the playstore that requres root.

I'm also wondering if Xposed framework works with this phone.

I know this is a lot. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction or let me know if there's anything I should absolutely avoid. (After reading through this forum I noticed it looks like Beats audio doesn't play nice with this phone but IDK if there are any other problem apps or mods.) :)

I bought this phone yesterday at Target for $9. I'm never going to activate the phone. I just got it because it was a dirt cheap Android device.

I love the Xposed framework, so I'll probably try it on this phone. If I do, I'll let you know. It's too bad we can't get a proper recovery on the phone. I wish they'd just ship these phones with a good recovery, even if they modified it so that all it could do was make/restore backups, it'd be great.

Upvote 0
Root apps in the google play store.

RAM booster works really well & my phone is really much faster now. Set it on low memory boost.

No-frills CPU worked pretty good, but apps would crash. There isn't really a point to it unless you want to underclock the CPU because it pretty much runs at max capacity all the time anyway. Be sure if you uninstall this app to clear the app data before you do. Otherwise you're CPU could get stuck on the frequency you left it on.

The internet booster worked good to. Internet was much faster.

Well that's about all I can confirm that works, or at least works for me. There were some other apps that worked but I didn't think to list because they have a lot of downfalls to them
Hope this helps you out.

P.S. If you set the CPU at a minimum of 124Mhz or whatever & a maximum of 700mhz whatever & set the govern to conservative you can charge you're battery really really fast. Just be careful. It seemed like my hydro wanted to crash at too low a frequency

Upvote 0
New root apps I've found in the play store.

SDcard booster. Really works.

Performance booster. Really works.

Digitizer booster. Really works.

& battery saver. Really works, but if you're phone is sitting idle it will drain the battery faster. It's only for conserving battery when using apps.

These apps are all made by gejos enterprise, & you can run them all together. All of the booster apps I've listed by gejos enterprise. The RAM & Internet booster apps are made by gejos too.

Hope you all like them as much as I do. These apps have increased the speed of my device over 50%. & I'm using them on the Kyocera Hydro Android 4.0.4

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones