• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do the Moto design decisions say about 3rd party steel watchbands.

electricpete

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2012
I'm trying to understand the design choices Moto has made and how it may relate to suitability of 3rd party bands on the 2014 (do they affect Bluetooth performance)

The storyline I tend to accept is that the 2014 Moto 360 back cracking with leather and 3rd party steel bands was a result of a bad design choice, which left those rounded ears on the back touching the band. (There may have been aesthetic reasons for those ears to puff up the band on really thin-wristed people).

The extender links on 2014 360 oem steel watchband do not seem improve the aesthetics (especially for small-wristed people) at all. Most people think they make it look worse.

So why did they put these extender links on if they make the watch look worse?

I read somewhere that maybe it had something to do with b/t receiption. That's what I'm really interested in validating or disproving. It doesn't ring true to me... my watch with 3rd party metal watchband with no extender links seems to have no different Bluetooth performance than before when I had leather band. It still occasionally loses connectivity but usually comes back shortly. So I'd be inclined to reject the notion that Bluetooth has anything to do with it... it must still be related to that bad design choice of the back with the rounded ears, right?

But now I'm thinking about the 2015 Moto 360. It has big yokes that stand off from the watch for purpose of attaching the band. Does it improve aesthetics? Well maybe it makes it look a little bit like a traditional watch, BUT I think it would make the watch look like it takes up a larger percentage of your wrist... again a problem for small wristed people (assuming they want the bigger display). It tends to negate the whole thin bezel thing that has been the pride of the Moto 360 design.

So again I'm going back to wondering what drives the design in that direction. I can't blame it I the back for the 2015 version (like I did for the 2014) because they could easily have fixed the back in the new watch. So maybe it really is important to Bluetooth and I just haven't noticed it on mine? Some other reasons?

Last edited:
I can't speak to the BT performance (is the chassis the antenna?) however I think there were a couple of things that pushed this design decision. First being the documented cases of splitting that occurred on the 2014. This is just a matter of physics. People who tend to wear the watch tighter are exerting a lot of force on a pretty thin chassis. Luckily I'm a loose watch wearer so I've never had a problem with that, thankfully.

I think the biggest improvement in moving the lugs to a more traditional location is more interior space for a much better processor and a bigger battery. That's going to be huge when it comes to day to day use. Cosmetically I think it still looks great. It's a blending of classic and cutting edge. I by no means mean to disrespect the Huawei watch by my next statement, it also seems like a very solid device. Cosmetically, to me, it looks like an old watch you'd find in your grandfather's dresser drawer. It looks classic and old.

"This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandaddy..."

Upvote 0
I can't speak to the BT performance (is the chassis the antenna?) however I think there were a couple of things that pushed this design decision. First being the documented cases of splitting that occurred on the 2014. This is just a matter of physics. People who tend to wear the watch tighter are exerting a lot of force on a pretty thin chassis. Luckily I'm a loose watch wearer so I've never had a problem with that, thankfully.

I think the biggest improvement in moving the lugs to a more traditional location is more interior space for a much better processor and a bigger battery. That's going to be huge when it comes to day to day use. Cosmetically I think it still looks great. It's a blending of classic and cutting edge. I by no means mean to disrespect the Huawei watch by my next statement, it also seems like a very solid device. Cosmetically, to me, it looks like an old watch you'd find in your grandfather's dresser drawer. It looks classic and old.

"This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandaddy..."
LOL

Upvote 0
First being the documented cases of splitting that occurred on the 2014. This is just a matter of physics.
Yeah, but could be fixed trivially by changing the shape of the back so that it doesn't overlap the straps. Build it so it ends up similar to the modified version on youtube
at which point there is no more stress on the thin back piece.
I think the biggest improvement in moving the lugs to a more traditional location is more interior space for a much better processor and a bigger battery.
Yeah, I didn't think about that. I can see it gains a little space. But also makes the watch look quite a bit bigger in relation to wrist imo. Obviously they had good reasons so I'm probably a minority in that view.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but could be fixed trivially by changing the shape of the back so that it doesn't overlap the straps. Build it so it ends up similar to the modified version on youtube
at which point there is no more stress on the thin back piece.

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I can see it gains a little space. But also makes the watch look quite a bit bigger in relation to wrist imo. Obviously they had good reasons so I'm probably a minority in that view.

Could always go with the smaller case - since with the new design that's now an option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones