What is a Backup ROM (Technical Answer Required)

Last Updated:

1. 14gautam

14gautam New Member This Topic's Starter

What exactly is a Backup ROM? - I know it's something which can be used to recover the state of the OS at a later stage but I am looking for a more technical answer, is it equivalent to system.img?

I was going through Android Central when I found this article - [HOW-TO] Nandroid Nonsense (BACK UP YOUR PHONE WITHOUT NANDROID!!)

I have a HCL ME X1, which cannot be used with ClockworkMod Recovery. So I was desperately looking for other ways of creating a backup. If I follow the steps in the above article will it create a Backup ROM for me?

I rooted my device and then unrooted it again, both using GingerBreak and am not able to root it again. However I am able to login to adb shell as root since my ro.secure is set to 0. If I run the above steps using the root adb shell, is it enough?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Hi 14gautam!

Welcome to AF :) I have moved your thread to the ROM section where they will be better able to explain this.

Cheers :)

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

A Nandroid backup consists of the /data partition (data.img), /cache partition (cache.img) and the /system partition (system.img) all nicely packaged in a backup folder with an MD5 check sum.

It is best IMHO to use a custom recovery to do this.

Hope this helps.

14gautam likes this.
  4. 14gautam

14gautam New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks SUroot :)

I flashed the recovery with fastboot using the ClockworkMod Recovery image and took a backup and was able to restore it back.