• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is Android Forums' purpose? (STAFF Please Read)

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
  • Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    Browsing the forums today, I came across this post:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/more-riders-uber-driver.1126556/

It's a lady in the "Uber Driver" app asking how to attract more riders. The immediate response was that the issue isn't Android-related so she was better off visiting the official Uber forums. I want to make something perfectly clear: this is EXACTLY the type of conversation we want to have on AF!!!

The beauty of the new AF is that each app/game can have an entire community built around it. If we could build a community of Uber Drivers in the Uber Drivers app, all sharing tips and tricks, helping each other out, and even making off-topic conversation, posting driver-related memes, etc... THOSE are the kinds of individual communities we want to build.

There are many different ways these different app communities could be extended to - instead of being about just Android support - they can blossom into full communities about the topic of the app.

In that regard, if you view app forums as full communities themselves, AndroidForums.com website and the Forums for Android app has the immediate infrastructure to let people discuss ANYTHING. But we need to invite and foster these conversations that are not directly Android related.

This is just a heads up - I know @svim meant well and appreciate @Unforgiven for chiming in - I just want everyone on the same page with the vision and purpose of AF moving forward.

Last edited:
    I think my post speaks for itself. If someone is here via the Forums for Android app and is asking about and app on their phone then the conversation belongs.

In the old world the discussion would be more of a lounge topic, but who cares. Now you can look at the Uber channel as being discussions both technically about the app and about the service. The topic isn't Android, it is Uber.

Upvote 0
    A great post Rob.

I see where you're going with the new site and how people interact with the site. Having previously been an admin at Jolt gaming for several years I know how differcult it is for major changes to take effect.

Your vision of being something for everyone will certainly take some time, from mods to admins changing how they see posts and requests to dealing with "us", the general public that also have the same views - that this is/was? a tech forum for android users rather than a general discussion forum.

I believe one stumbling block could be the very name of the forums, with general phone users assuming this is just a tech site, rather than somewhere to hangout.

Certainly looking forward to how the site will grow though. :cool:

Upvote 0
    I would like to see the ZTE ZMAX pro 2 answer all the stuff that folks have been asking like an update and root info
    As a site that is based mostly on members helping members, we don't have answers for everything. There is a root discussion thread for that and they have been plucking at it for months (years???) with limited success.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones