• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is difference between "Navigation" and "Sprint Navigation" apps ?

Panchoevo

Aug 7, 2010
Amber waves of grain.
What is difference between "Navigation" and "Sprint Navigation" apps ?

Newby to the smart phone, and am still trying to understand this "app" stuff.

The "Navigation" app is a blue arrow, and is the one I use for map and voice navigation.

The "Sprint Navigation" app seems to do the same thing in a much more belabored manner.

Are these both Sprint, or what ? Why two similar apps ? Is one supposed to do something that the other doesn't. I don't get it.

Google Nav is 4 times better than Sprint Nav. Except for the voice. I like the voice in Sprint better. But! The routing in Google Nav is way better.
In Sprint nav it gives you only the major roads, even if it is in the wrong direction. And if you deviate from the established route it keeps telling you and directing you back to their route. It never recognizes an alternative route. So it keeps stubbornly telling you and directing you back to the point you deviated from their route.
Google Nav recognizes shorter less major routes and also lets you switch to alternative routes, and then on top of that it re-establishes the route from your current location to the destination instead of sticking to the original route like sprint does.

Upvote 0
Sprint Nav is a sprint "added value" product developed separately from anything the OS provides. For other operating systems, Sprint Nav is the included navigation product (e.g. WM) Google Nav is a feature of the late-model Android OS, so Sprint Nav ends up providing duplicate functionality. Google Nav is in most respects a better product, but Sprint Nav is perfectly functional as well.

Upvote 0
I thought I would like Google's better. But it seems Sprint is plotting better routes. I've been using one nav one way and the other one back to the original destination. I did this one time on vacation and many times in town. Google tends to pick routes in the country, back roads, or slicing through a town. Sprint tends to rely on highways, which often is faster or the right choice.

BTW, it's not from Sprint, it's from Telenav - Voice directions on your GPS phone: TeleNav So it's just the cover of the app that appears to be from Sprint. I feel this gives a little more credibility than a junk app like Sprint Football Live.

I will use both for sure. For example, you can create a nice shortcut to Google Nav to a common location, that way you don't have to type/select location every time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones