• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is "Google Play Music" ?

PeteCress

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
Paoli PA, USA
I'm thinking some kind of marketing BS that's been pushed down to my device.

Never even knew I had it until I started seeing "Unfortunately Google Play Music has stopped working" dialogs coincident with screen freezups.

Found I could not uninstall it, so I opened Application Manager and clicked "Force Stop". Coincident with that, the notifications seemed to increase.

Probably serves me right for messing with Mother Nature...

But it still begs the question: "WTF is it?".... besides one more reason to root this thing.... -)

For me it's better than iTunes. open, click any song you want, and it's available on all your devices. the subscription is nice, too. it sure beats paying $1.29 per song and hogging up internal storage. no downloading is nice too. i believe Google Play Music, much like its brothers Play Books, Play Movies is Android's attempt at competing with Apple iTunes, iBooks, etc. and in my view, Play's version is ten times better.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I too have been having problems downloading music from Google Play (GS3). The error I have been getting of late is that my "device" is not set uo for billing to my carrier. Verizon says it's okay for me to do so...Google Play says they're not the problem...(i have my own post about this here).

Anyway my theory is that it was the update to Google Play. At least with your post I have confirmation that it was problematic. Wonder if it could have caused my issue...at least their tech support folks could have SAID somethng, but they punted back to Verizon as the cause. I followed your steps. While it didn't fix my problem, I'm still tremendously grateful for your post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones