• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the General feeling about changing to a moto g (2022) phone

startac4

Apr 13, 2020
Because of problems I'm having making calls on my LG K20 Plus, T-Mobile support is recommending a straight trade-in to a moto 5G (2022). What's the general feeling about that model? Or would I be better off with a different model (or brand)? I appended this to another thread but no one responded so I'm putting it here anew.

Because of problems I'm having making calls on my LG K20 Plus, T-Mobile support is recommending a straight trade-in to a moto 5G (2022). What's the general feeling about that model? Or would I be better off with a different model (or brand)? I appended this to another thread but no one responded so I'm putting it here anew.
What's your budget if you don't get a full trade and what features are important? How/what do you use your phone for mostly?
Moto's are really good budget to mid phones so if you don't need a ton of 'stuff ' it may suit you well.

Upvote 0
I spoke to a T-Mobile Rep and she told me T-Mobile was effectively giving away the moto 5G (2022) . She wouldn't say it outright but she hinted I should consider that if they're giving it away how good a phone could it be. She was not trying to make a sale on a different phone, just helping me to look at my options.

She also told me she has customers who are happy with the T-Mobile branded REVVL 6 Pro, an "affordable" mid-line phone. . I looked at its specs and the best thing about it is what appears to be a significantly long time going without charging. But I am reluctant to buy a no-name cell phone - I don't know who actually makes it.

Samsung Galaxys are probably better phones - and much more expensive - but I have a Samsung J2 as a travel phone and, compared to the LG software, I find it a bit stilted and not intuitive to use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
moto 5G (2022)
There is no phone called "Moto 5G" and Motorola makes several phones that have 5G in the name. Moto G 5G and Moto G Stylus 5G are two.

That said, I'd agree with what's been said above - Motos are usually good budget and mid-range phones, and they usually don't receive more then one or two years of updates.

Upvote 0
I would go with a Google Pixel. T-Moble has the Pixel 7A. 7, and 7Pro
I bought one recently, just started using it after a week of installing new apps and security stuff. Was Having serious issues with my year+ 0ld TCL pos. (They said that's all I could have in pre-release, ex went crazy, still fighting it....). It's not a bad phone i guess, but i definitely notice that there are much fewer settings options on the mg5g. It seems the phone is set up to run it's self with AI based off my usage and a few questions it asked when I turned it on. Beware - it will ask you a seemingly innocent question, randomly and only once, and that will decide a bunch of the phones preferences, and you'll never be able to find them again. I bought a new top dollar iphone every year from i4 - i12pro max, when I went from flip to smart, so figuring out this android thing has been really hard on me. The ex still has thieves and druggy loser people messing with my stuff, so keeping this phone clean, even though it was only 100$, is really important to me. I found a cool app called Bluetooth notifier and security that puts a firewall on your Bluetooth, with all sorts of alerts to choose and you can whitelist/monitor/turn off wifi or cell data for every installed app with it and some system apps. Protectstar AI firewall runs a NOT VPN and changes my IP to ip6 through Quad9 tunnel. Also have the spyware and antivirus protectstar apps for scanning the phone. Comodo app puts a firewall on my installed Apps, and i got the Certo app for scanning as well, what the heck, it does something too, i forget what. So since there aren't enought settings in the phone, you have to get apps that let you have more control over the system, apparently it's a moto thing, make the phone really dumb, improved user experience or something. The screen only runs 720, but it's oleo resin resistant, so that's nice. It's pretty loud, the mic works well. I plug it in when I go to bed, battery lasts all day while my ram runs over 50% in the background. Trying to figure that out. Has ram boost. Can't seem to get on 5g yet, idk what's with that. 50 apps has me at about 2/3 memory left. Oh, the camera is really nice i think, especially if you run your good pics/downloads/whatev through the Snapseed app real quick. The edges of the screen are a little touchy, and it's really slippery, but i don't use a case, because I'm an idiot, so you could fix that. I do like how you can switch off camera and mic access in the drop-down, i don't need electrical tape over my lenses anymore, LOL! fml.... LSS, I Hate android, i miss my 1400$ iphone, but for 100$, this thing (XT2213DL ARM64-V8a v12s 31) is 100X more useable than that effing tcla3x. So, like, 7% as functional as a new ipromax. Flicking over a couple dev options helps quite a bit too. Careful though ‍♂️. It's a straight talk phone too, idk if that means my network sucks also, or what. Anyway, good luck! (The A7 has better hardware) but all i really know is these things have poop for security, and they're slow and not user-friendly, so i would suggest spending the money on a new ipromax and jailbreaking it. At least it would work well.....aside from the security thing.... But she had 4 or 5 different people at a time monitoring my new iphone, so i guess the lesson is be super nice to everyone you interact with, read books on improving your relationships (there's no ceiling, they can always get better) and don't click on spam. Maybe pray for luck too.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones