General What is this ICS Icon?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CeruChick, Jul 16, 2012.

1. CeruChick

CeruChick New Member

Jul 16, 2012
    I updated my Note to ICS and now I have a mysterious icon I cannot figure out...

Okay well I can't post a picture due to the forum restrictions so I will do my best to describe the icon that is in my notification bar:
    • It is a N with a blue wifi symbol on the bottom left-hand corner of it (hiding part of the N)
    • It is right-aligned in my notification bar (meaning right next to my "silent mode" icon and network bars, etc)
    I have no idea what this icon is for or what functionality it serves - I can't find a setting to toggle it on or off. Does anyone know what it is or what its for?

Any info will be great! Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. CeruChick

CeruChick New Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Found it!

It is the icon for NFC (the sharing of stuff between phones by tapping them together)

For anyone else confused, you can turn it on/off by:
    Settings -> Wireless and Network -> More... --> NFC toggle

:D

3. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    I don't have an NFC setting on my Note?

4. sgtbilko80

sgtbilko80 Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Neither do I. Is this on 4.04?

5. zc1

zc1 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2012
    International version of the Note (N7000) says 'NFC Optional' according to GSM Arena. The North American Version (i717 w/ LTE) has NFC. I don't have any experience with the international version so I can't speak to the truth of those specs. Do some of the international Notes have NFC an some not?

6. touringhaggis

touringhaggis Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Consultant
    Germany
    As far as I know the international Note lacks NFC capability, although you can add it by purchasing extra hardware that plugs into the sd card slot. Not that I have, since I have not found a need for the feature.

Regards,
    Eric Ritchie.