• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is this?

Hello everyone,

I have a BLU Life One L120 (stock), I've had it for just over a week. SmsReg, a peculiar little nasty, was discovered on my android phone as well and I cannot get rid of it. AV picks it up and it points the finger at other apps.

I've reset my phone back to factory 4 times and it's still there. Installed only one app, Kaspersky, and got a hit and it said: "HEUR:Trojan.AndroidOS.Gedma.a" and points to Kaspersky.

In the report on Kaspersky, it lists as an infected file: /system/app/SmsReg.apk/classes.dex

When asked to delete it, it displays SmsReg and the results are always "uninstall unsuccessful". I can disable it, but is it really disabled?

Visited the link, installed AVG Antivirus Pro and nadda. Didn't see it, didn't remove it. Malwarebytes, Avast, and Bitdefender missed it, but Comodo and Kaspersky pick it up.

I've spent two days now reading, swearing and fighting with it and it's kickin' my butt. Anyone got an idea or a beer?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Probably each of us is faced with the problem of when buying your first Chinese device running an operating system Android ... Account quietly began to leave the money with the date of purchase, we had not yet install third-party applications, and among established by number only standard application of the base firmware.

And the culprit is a system application SMSreg.apk.

What is SMSreg.apk?

There are two interpretations of the destination of this application. The first and most popular - a malicious program that is specifically integrated into the firmware for the pumping of money the user via SMS messages to premium rate numbers.
The second interpretation SMSreg.apk has a practical application. According to her this application contrary indispensable assistant and guardian. It allows you to send an SMS message when a new SIM card. That is, in the case of lost or stolen phone, you should receive an SMS with the IMEI number devaysa once the new "owner" insert your sim card

How to remove SMSreg.apk?

The application is hidden from the eyes of the average user, you will not find it in the list of installed programs.For what would be daring in Android SMSreg need to get root rights and set RootExplorer.Then in RootExplorer proceed to the file system / system / app and re-mount it with the right R / W.In the application you will seeSMSreg.apk and SMSreg.odex.After removal of the program need to remount the file system again as R / O and reboot your smartphone.Now you can sleep peacefully - mysterious disappearance of funds from the account must stop.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones