• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What issues are you having or not having with your Captivate?

Any issues you your Captivate?

• Total voters
So I'm not the only one with MMS problems? We have 3 captivates on our family plan and 90% of the time none of us can send MMS's.

I have 3 MAJOR issues with this phone so far -

1) Contact Groups are NOT syncing with gmail contact groups
2) MMS is NOT working
3) GPS is NOT working as it should be

Please everyone make sure to notify Samsung and AT&T of these problems as much as we can!

Upvote 0
So my first Captivate had crazy home button flicker issues, rendering it practically useless. Returned after 3 days and now having another set of issues that were on my first phone also.

On YouTube widget, I'll find my account, try to connect and it keeps timing out and makes me force a close. This means i can't upload anything.

Anyone else?

Upvote 0
Hi all, I'm newish to android (had an aria for a week then bought the iphone 4 then returned it for the capivate)and I may have a fix for the facebook sync issues. I had the same problem, then thought maybe it was a conflict between the facebook app/widget and the phone trying to sync contacts, i logged out in the widget, logged back into the account in the settings-> accounts, retried the sync and it worked fine.maybe a conflict exists? Everytime I tried to log into the account it would say my session timed out until I logged out of the widget.

Upvote 0
Yea. I can't send one. I ended up email pictures yesterday because I couldn't get it to send.
I was experiencing this issue myself.. The reason .. the phone has a 5mp cam and so the file sizes are much larger than phones with lower quality cameras.. A pic in 5mp on the captivate produces a file thats about 1500kb where your pic messages can only be 300 i figured this out from some research and then sending myself a photo from my storage card from my old phone.. the camera does have a crop feature and i cropped a little off a photo taken with the cam and it made it much smaller and able to send... so you can try that or just take them in a lower MP.

Upvote 0
i was able to get facebook sync working by just pressing the menu key and choosing "get friends" in the contacts list. well it really isnt sync since you have to pick the friends individually then it matches them with the ones in your phonebook.

This worked! When I tried to add Facebook by going to Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> Add account -> Faceboook, I would get a login error. By doing it your way, it worked! Now my only question is, how do you pick friends individually to sync? It says that it has synced my contacts but I'm not seeing anything different.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The only problem I having is at&t itself not letting android be open like it suppose to be, I hate that I have to root and go though all this stuff just for my phone can do what android can do, my sister has the Samsung Vibrant and she has all kinds of free apps that she downloaded from the web from her phone, damn we have pretty much the same phone, at&t needs to get with the program and get off Apples dick, and I'm not a Apple hater I use to have a 3gs, and I choose the Captivate over the iPhone 4, I love my Captivate I just hate what at&t is doing. Sorry guys I been holding that in and I had to get it out.

Upvote 0
The only problem I having is at&t itself not letting android be open like it suppose to be, I hate that I have to root and go though all this stuff just for my phone can do what android can do, my sister has the Samsung Vibrant and she has all kinds of free apps that she downloaded from the web from her phone, damn we have pretty much the same phone, at&t needs to get with the program and get off Apples dick, and I'm not a Apple hater I use to have a 3gs, and I choose the Captivate over the iPhone 4, I love my Captivate I just hate what at&t is doing. Sorry guys I been holding that in and I had to get it out.

The only applications blocked in the marketplace are applications that would cause you to violate your user agreement if used so I'm not even sure why so many people are dragging out the issue. Other applications like XM/Sirius or Gameloft are not available in the market for their own reasons, but why doesn't anyone get upset with the creators of those apps? I'm also not sure at all what the Android market has to do with the iPhone. It goes without saying, for me at least, that the choices to lock down AT&T Android devices was a calculated business decision that obviously works to benefit the company.

Upvote 0
I feel like I'm using a product that should still be in testing. There are too many bugs that should have been caught and fixed before it came onto the market. This is Samsung though so I should have known better. Why test a product when you can get the customer to pay to test it and then release a fix a year later? It is incredibly annoying to have my phone vibrate to alert me to a text message when I'm on a call. I've never had a phone do this before. Yeah, I can turn off vibration for text messages but it should be smart enough to not do that when I'm on a call! Sometimes I don't even get an alert to a new message or it will be vibration or audible alert only, but not both. The volume level seems to reset itself also. I hate how the new text notification is at the very top of the screen and is very tiny. How hard would it have been to have a popup of some sort? I'm using SMS Popup but it has lots of bugs in it too. I could go on and on.

Overall the phone is just not very polished and was obviously not tested very thoroughly before being released.

Upvote 0
The only problem I have so far is the power button not waking my screen up on rare occasions but when I use the power button to turn the screen off it always works. Software issue? My iPhone 3G had this same problem. Also, when I'm putting in my pattern to unlock the phone the screen will turn off but I think that's because sometimes I wait a second or two to actually put in the pattern right when the screen is about to turn off again.

Upvote 0
- GPS accuracy
Within 1800 meters is what google maps says. At least I finally got the Satellites to lock (finally) with the fix posted.

- Battery life
Just need to stop spending time downloading and installing apps i guess =P
Also need to actively kill AT&T processes or one time I had a grand total of 5 hrs 46 min battery life -.-. Usually lasts around a day now.

- Signal strength
Back cover? Whatever the problem, speed test gets consistently around 3000Kbps down and around 350 up. (some tests more some tests less)

- Lag/Poor responsiveness
I'm attributing this to AT&T Bloatware... seems snappy once I loaded LauncherPro or ADW.

- Facebook Sync not working properly
My main gripe about this phone. Hasn't worked since I got it on the 18th -.-

- USB drive connection (Computer doesn't recognize)
Not a problem :D

- Accelerometer slightly off
On a perfectly flat table, Labyrinth Lite will show the ball moving to the left and down. Unless the phone isn't level, I guess the accelerometer is slightly off?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones