• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What kind of pointing device is this?

speedlever

Android Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2012
North Carolina
There are times when it would be nice to have something to work the touchscreen other than my finger... such as in this pic. What is this? A generic capacitive stylus that will work with the GS4?

UBJqblJ.png

Thanks ironass. I checked that video. Tried a pencil eraser... but no joy on my GS4. So what kind of stylus works on the GS4 screen?

Also, what messaging app does he use in that demo? Mine does not look anything like that and I see no way to use handwriting as a source.

You will need trial and error for the stylus sustitute. He mentions a number of apps in the video, such as S-Memo, in conjunction with Air Gestures which may or may not be on some of the Galaxy S4 minority variants. Unfortunately, I cannot check personally for you at the moment as I am on KitKat.

Upvote 0
Thanks. That takes me to the UK site which won't work for me. It doesn't seem to translate to a USA option either.

I've heard that the Bamboo series is good.
Unless there are other Bamboo pens, you should be careful because this won't work. The S4 uses a standard capacitive screen (for which you need one of the styli with a large rubbery end as shown in the OP) but the Note series use a proper Wacom digitiser for which one of the Bamboo pens will work.

Even with the Note series, most non-Samsung pens don't work perfectly.

Upvote 0
My niece had a Bamboo stylus for her iPad Air that I tried on my GS4 last night. It took a bit more pressure than I thought it would, but otherwise seemed to work fine.

They seem a bit pricey on Amazon, so I'm still open to good options.

Edit: Ordered an amPen hybrid with some tips from Amazon. Sounds like it should be decent enough.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MOHLVC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Upvote 0
My niece had a Bamboo stylus for her iPad Air that I tried on my GS4 last night. It took a bit more pressure than I thought it would, but otherwise seemed to work fine.
In that case, Wacom must make different types of stylus branded Bamboo. If it's got a large rubbery end the size of a small pea, it should work. If it's got a thin, fairly hard, pointy end, it probably won't.

Upvote 0
In that case, Wacom must make different types of stylus branded Bamboo. If it's got a large rubbery end the size of a small pea, it should work. If it's got a thin, fairly hard, pointy end, it probably won't.

Yeah, I think it had the larger end.

It will be interesting to see how well the fiber tip of the amPen stylus works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones