• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What level of protection do you go for?

Snow_Fox

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
I have always been so clumsy I told myself that if I ever got a decent phone, I would get the otterbox for it.

However, truth be told after running with my phone "bare" for a while now.. I like the feel and size of it.. so I no longer want a huge otterbox or anything to much and have settled on an innocase which looks like it adds relatively little bulk.

Every since I got my new phone, I've realized my hand is like superglue so I am no longer worried about it tumbling any insane distance.

Infact I am not even really getting the case for "protection" so much as "Aesthetics" because, my phone is already showing signs of wear/tear.

I prefer to stop the wear/tear now and have a case that isn't going to show what little wear/tear I have now..

Kinda funny how after planning to get the most protection for so long.. I've completely changed a bad habit.

How much protection do you all go for? Maximum? none? minimum?

I am hoping the innocase II that I got is what I think it will be. Something relatively sturdy that will look decent and prevent wear and tear to the polished feeling plastic back.

At any rate, I am curious about what other people here go for. I know otterboxes are pretty popular when possible and there are a lot of people who have a lot of views.

No protection at all. The lg shine plus really has nothing available to protect it. So far the only time its fallen was when i was using the app "sleep as an droid" which monitors your sleep activity as i think i have a sleeping problem. Anyways i knocked the phone right off the bed onto the tile floor screen face first. Luckily not a scratch on the screen. The brushed metal battery cover is completely covered in scratches from normal wear and tear after 4 months of heavy use.

Upvote 0
i agree naked.. the evo is sexy.. and feels great.

but .. I can stand the idea it might get scratched. So I use a cover that does not add to much bulk.. and is easy to take off ..

here is what I use... no screen protector..
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-reviews/257829-review-rearthusa-ringke-rubber-case-evo-4g.html

I might get a leather belt case for the summer.
but the thing is so big.. it might look odd on my hip.
i also need it to carry it when i go to gym.

Upvote 0
Everyone should use protection. ;)

Sorry about that, couldn't resist. Anyway, there is a screen protector on my phone (the plastic thing it came with!) and that's all. Since I keep it in my pocket, size is important so I do not want one of those bulky protection things.

Lol. When I got my phone, samsung mesmerize, the first things I thought of were a case and screen protector. I bought the body glove case, and have been pleased with out so far. The funny part is that they were out of screen protectors, so I too am using the cover that came on the phone.

Upvote 0
I used to have this weird looking silicon case for my phone but I decided to nix it 'cause it's just too bulky for my taste. I kept my screen protector (seriously, a touch screen without protection is not the smartest idea) on and decided to stash my phone in a cute carrying case instead. I like it better 'cause in my experience Android phones are sexier naked. :)

Oh and I'm a extremely clumsy person so just imagine all the outer damages my phone has endured. It's covered in scratches now, but I love it still. I think it's fine for a cellphone to look like that. I don't plan on re-selling it anytime soon anyway. Haha :D Just remember that if you plan on selling at again in a high price, keep the phone safe and pristine at all costs. That way you can keep its value up. Unless you're like me who changes her phone every 2-3 years. ;)

Upvote 0
I just use a simple slide case. I came from iPhone which I always protected like crazy. The latest iPhone 4 I got I just had a bumber on it (where I used to do screen shields). I never dropped the phone so I decided to just get rid of the bulk. The phone is in my pocket by itself all the time. Either that, or out on the table.

Upvote 0
I have a hard rubber case on mine to keep it protected...feels better in the hand too...

Tried a screen protector once but it really messed up the interface and looked horrible. Trashed it and haven't tried another. Wasn't really necessary anyway as my screen stayed scratch free on it's own.

Upvote 0
personally .. i dont understand the big as body cases.. for most situations. If you are in dirty and dangerous enviroments.. ok.

but the general public.. we all talk about sexy thin devices. when we see a new phone.. and it is big.. we all bitch of the big fat size.
they come out with sexy phone... example: iphone4 or EVO...
we a praise it's thin.. glass and chrome materials and thin body...

what do we do next... go out and find the fatest case to enclose it in. hide all the great things why we are visually attracted to it.

i dont get it. I want to keep my evo as thin and sexy as possible.
so.. just a thin rubber case.. for daily work.. that can be taken off when I feel the need for it to run around naked :D

you can see what i use .. on my post abovehttp://androidforums.com/evo-4g-reviews/257829-review-rearthusa-ringke-rubber-case-evo-4g.html

Upvote 0
I use a pretty thin rubber case i bought up at best buy. Dont remember the brand but it isn't TOO bulky. Then I use a screen protector which i didn't like at first as i found it not as smooth moving around the screen but I have gotten used to it now.

Every now and then i take the phone out of the case and it feels so slim...makes me want to take the risk of running it naked but the battery cover on the captivate scratches extremely easily i found (within 5 mins of opening the box with my fingernail)

Upvote 0
As much as I always thought I would get a defender series otterbox for my captivate.

I found out the defender series for the captivate doesn't have the built in screen protector.. so I immediately wrote it off.

I now use a screen protector (standard bought at at&t type) with the Seidio Innocase II. I must admit I didn't realize how much more comfortable the Captivate would be to use just by adding a little bit of size to it.

The Innocase II on my captivate is probably the most comfortable experience I could have ever imagined on a phone.

Had the otterbox still had the built in screen protector for captivate I would have opted for it but, to me only giving one screen protector you have to apply yourself automatically devalues otterbox.

Upvote 0
I got one of these V-Smart cases for my new Desire HD:

V-Smart Armour Case For Desire HD

I wanted something which would protect the whole phone in case I dropped it (not just the back and sides) but didn't really want a screen protector stuck on the screen. I also didn't want anything which would add too much bulk to the already quite sizeable phone, so it had to be quite slim-fitting. Oh, and it had to be reasonably good looking too!

I think the V-Smart ticks all of the above boxes and I'm really pleased with it.

Upvote 0
I just need something that'll protect the phone from scratches and dents when I get drunk at the bar and drop it on the street after trying to drunk dial my ex to tell her that I still love her and also that she is a b!tch... a slim rubber case for about two bucks from amazon works perfectly. I don't plan on pitching my phone off a skyscraper anytime soon (but when I do decide to, I'm going otterbox!).

Upvote 0
Defender on my Evo. I work in a wharehouse full of cars and parts and such and am up and down and bumping into stuff and it's very, very dusty. The Otterbox isn't perfect but it's pretty good. The beltclip barely fits my 2" riggers belt, which is annoying, but it's pretty solid. I got in a 911 with sport seats the other day without thinking and the side bolster tried to rip it off my hip but it stayed put (and didn't break). I'm still getting used to it's relative bulk, I'm used to my big hardware being on my right hip, now I have to sorta watch both. Is cool though.

Upvote 0
I got a slim black Incipio case just so that my Atrix isn't touching the table when lying down. Protection is minimal at best. I'm not of a clumsy person with dropping things but more of a clumsy person with losing things, lol. I prefer the feel of naked but the Atrix being all plasticky is quite slippery so the case helps in that department too.

Upvote 0
I used an innocase with my iPhone for 2 years and automatically got one for my TBolt. Adds very little bulk, I like the feel of it and it looks good. I haven't seen anyone mention the clip holster for it, but since I already have enough stuff in my pockets, I have used that with the innocase also and it works great. The phone clips in with the screen in toward the holster and the holster holds the phone very securely. I've only had the phone come out once and that was because I hit the phone very hard against something from the side and it knocked it out of the holster. I also dropped my iPhone 3 times while using the innocase and the phone was never damaged and looked like new when I got my TBolt.

I've also tried the Otterbox, but the built in screen protector always had what looked like oil spots and drove me nuts, so I just got a standard screen protector and gave the Otterbox to my son. I also didn't care for the Otterbox holster since it clips from the side and it didn't feel as secure as the Seidio with the top clip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones