• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What Phone should I switch to from an HTC One M9?

Hi, I had my HTC One M9 for about a couple of months, got it used. Now HTC makes a good UI and such, and it was really nice as my first android device but eventually things started getting buggy and deteriorating. I blame the Snapdragon 810 for the issues, which the major one right now is the battery, About 1% gets eaten through in a minute when browsing the web , and Extreme Power Saving Mode does not help very much. The thing lasts about 7 hours before I have to recharge it. I have tried deleting extraneous apps, limiting whats running in the background, etc, but nothing seems to work. I was thinking of getting one of those battery-cases with about 4700mA or so.

Lately, I've been thinking of upgrading my phone since I got an upgrade deal for verizon of about $100 off my next upgrade and about $300 worth of trading in a phone. There are a few things that I am looking for:
  • A Micro SD Card Slot (This is a MUST)
  • Good battery life that can go through about a day with using bluetooth with my smartwatch frequently.
  • Preferably no Snapdragon 810's anymore.
  • 32gb of internal storage.
  • 3gb of RAM.
I have looked into phones, like the LG G4, Droid Turbo 2, and Droid Maxx 2. They all apparently have micro SD card slots and decent specs, not sure how the 810 will do with the large battery on the Turbo 2 though. I've been leaning towards the G4 a lot since I have heard good things on how the 808 is specialized for it since LG worked closely with qualcomm to ensure fluid performance and I assume good battery life. Not to mention the removable battery sounds great considering that's rare in this generation of smart phones.

I was wondering what phone I should get, or if so, maybe you have other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: bcrichster
This would be a tough decision, and and if the Micro SD slot is a must then I would say just wait.

Rumor has it that the Galaxy S7 will get the Micro SD slot back, probably still no removable battery, which I can live without anyway, and I assume you would too. Again this is just a rumor so I can't tell you for sure, but that's definitely what I would do, unless you need a new phone right now!

Of course, as you might already know, newer Samsung phones do not use Snapdragon processors.

Upvote 0
This would be a tough decision, and and if the Micro SD slot is a must then I would say just wait.

Rumor has it that the Galaxy S7 will get the Micro SD slot back, probably still no removable battery, which I can live without anyway, and I assume you would too. Again this is just a rumor so I can't tell you for sure, but that's definitely what I would do, unless you need a new phone right now!

Of course, as you might already know, newer Samsung phones do not use Snapdragon processors.

I kind of would like a new phone now. I also heard that the Samsung exynos processors also heat up as much as Snapdragon ones, is that true, or did I hear that from a bias point of view?
I'm really looking toward getting that G4, it looks promising, but maybe the G3 would be good if the battery is better?

Upvote 0
I've heard nothing but good things about the Galaxy S6 (from real life users not online), so I personally would go for an S7 in a heartbeat. You have to remember, our smartphones today would be considered super computers back in the day, and you may have many apps running at once, so heating up at times may be normal, but bad battery life is not.

Now as for the G3, honestly as far as I know the battery life has never been great anyway. The list of phones you looked into already mentions G4 among others, I just thought maybe you should add S7 to the list of phones you're considering. Really I haven't personally tried any of those phones myself.

I am currently using a Nexus 6P, but you said a Micro SD slot is a must, so I didn't bother telling you about it, but it's a great phone if you don't mind the big size.

Upvote 0
Hi, I had my HTC One M9 for about a couple of months, got it used. Now HTC makes a good UI and such, and it was really nice as my first android device but eventually things started getting buggy and deteriorating.

Lately, I've been thinking of upgrading my phone since I got an upgrade deal for verizon of about $100 off my next upgrade and about $300 worth of trading in a phone. There are a few things that I am looking for:
  • A Micro SD Card Slot (This is a MUST)
  • Good battery life that can go through about a day with using bluetooth with my smartwatch frequently.
  • Preferably no Snapdragon 810's anymore.
  • 32gb of internal storage.
  • 3gb of RAM.
I was wondering what phone I should get, or if so, maybe you have other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Myself,I'd recommend the Note4 or LG V10.
Both meet your requirements & have removable batteries to boot.
I've owned both (currenty still in the V10,contemplating getting the Note4 again),you can't go wrong with either.

I have a Moto X Pure Edition. Works with just about any carrier, no bloatware, front-facing stereo speakers, 5.7" QHD screen, 3GB RAM, and yes - a microSD slot. My Darling Bride and I both have this phone and love it.

I've heard battery life is good on this,w/FF Speakers always welcome.
If you like HTC's apps,most are easily side-loaded,including Blinkfeed,without root,on virtually any device.

Take your pick,can't go wrong with these.................

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Me?

I have a HTC One M9, and I hate the damn thing.

I bought a Samsung Note 4 and have not looked back.
Best thing I ever did for myself...

Better screen colors, better GUI, better everything, and it has a pen so you can write free hand notes to yourself.

The Biggest Best Thing? It has a replaceable battery, and that means that you can install a Qi Wireless receiver coil in it.... for hands free charging w/o the mini-usb plug tying you down to earth.

if you buy the Note 4, I will give you the Qi charger to buy, I know it works, it is in mine.

Sell your M9 on Swappa and get a Note 4 the same way. I found a pristine Note 4, with a Speck Military grade Grip case, and a Gorilla glass protector on it, for $299 shipped with the OEM 2A charger module. That Note 4 recharges faster than any phone I have ever owned.... much faster than my S5 will.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Galaxy S6 (from real life users not online), so I personally would go for an S7 in a heartbeat. You have to remember, our smartphones today would be considered super computers back in the day, and you may have many apps running at once, so heating up at times may be normal, but bad battery life is not.

Now as for the G3, honestly as far as I know the battery life has never been great anyway. The list of phones you looked into already mentions G4 among others, I just thought maybe you should add S7 to the list of phones you're considering. Really I haven't personally tried any of those phones myself.

I am currently using a Nexus 6P, but you said a Micro SD slot is a must, so I didn't bother telling you about it, but it's a great phone if you don't mind the big size.

I don't really want to wait for the s7 I suppose. I havn't tried samsung but I heard it has some good stuff about them. Maybe I'll try the note series like one person said.

I have a Moto X Pure Edition. Works with just about any carrier, no bloatware, front-facing stereo speakers, 5.7" QHD screen, 3GB RAM, and yes - a microSD slot. My Darling Bride and I both have this phone and love it.

From what I look at in the specs, I think that it's about equivilent to the LG G4, but a different UI and a non-removable battery. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Myself,I'd recommend the Note4 or LG V10.
Both meet your requirements & have removable batteries to boot.
I've owned both (currenty still in the V10,contemplating getting the Note4 again),you can't go wrong with either.

I've heard battery life is good on this,w/FF Speakers always welcome.
If you like HTC's apps,most are easily side-loaded,including Blinkfeed,without root,on virtually any device.

Take your pick,can't go wrong with these.................

LG V10 looks about the same battery life as the LG4/3, I think the 4gb of RAM might run through it faster, idk. I like what the Note 4 has, maybe I'll go for that.

Me?

I have a HTC One M9, and I hate the damn thing.

I bought a Samsung Note 4 and have not looked back.
Best thing I ever did for myself...

Better screen colors, better GUI, better everything, and it has a pen so you can write free hand notes to yourself.

The Biggest Best Thing? It has a replaceable battery, and that means that you can install a Qi Wireless receiver coil in it.... for hands free charging w/o the mini-usb plug tying you down to earth.

if you buy the Note 4, I will give you the Qi charger to buy, I know it works, it is in mine.

Sell your M9 on Swappa and get a Note 4 the same way. I found a pristine Note 4, with a Speck Military grade Grip case, and a Gorilla glass protector on it, for $299 shipped with the OEM 2A charger module. That Note 4 recharges faster than any phone I have ever owned.... much faster than my S5 will.

Yeah, the note 4 looks pretty good from what i've seen, despite it's big size. The only question is, which chipset does yours have? I see different versions either has the Snapdragon 805 or the Exynos chipset? Would any make a difference in battery life/performance?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I kind of would like a new phone now. I also heard that the Samsung exynos processors also heat up as much as Snapdragon ones, is that true, or did I hear that from a bias point of view?
No, it's true that the Exynos in the S6 heats up as much as the s810 in most devices that use that (I've seen this shown many times by different people). However, the effect of the heat on battery life also depends on the internal layout of the device, e.g. proximity of battery to processor, and what cooling provision is included (the M9 is, from this point of view, bad on the first and good on the second, while the S6 is the other way round), as well as software optimisation (balancing heat and performance). But then the S6 (and Note 5) doesn't meet your stated criteria anyway, so that discussion isn't so important.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones