• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What plan will this require on Verizon?

It looks like they don't list it up front, but if you go through the buying process, that text thing gets listed in the extras. If I go with email/web but not unlimited data, and the 250 text package, I can get it down to the same $75/month as iPhone/AT&T -- with 50 more texts (that I wouldn't use).

That works for me.

Upvote 0
@icesick06,
Thanks for the PM. I spoke with the VZW rep through work. You were correct. The individual line needs to be upgraded to the "Select" plan. This reduces the additional line charge from $19.99 to $9.99. Then, there is the $29.99 "data" plan add for a smartphone/PDA. The net is a $20 increase in the plan, less my 22% discount, which will amount to about a $17 increase to the monthly bill.

@everyone else,
Thanks for the info. This is confusing on top of my MBA statistics and decision classes. Pouring through more data was getting to be too burdensome.

Upvote 0
I stopped by the Verizon store. To get the data package I would need to add 29.99 per phone if I were to get the family plan. If I went with an individual data/text plan it would be 80$ (plus 45 cents/minute for my voice calls).

Right now I have an unlimited non-3g data/unlimited text plan from t-mobile for my sidekick that is 29.99. Any voice minutes are 45 cents (used to be 20, but this bill was suddenly higher with no notice).

The upshot is 50$/month for a much better phone, 3G, better coverage, and not having to deal with t-mobile. If I get rid of our land line (and just use skype) that reduces it to $20 more than our current bills.

I am going to see if my partner is interested in switching too or if she will stay with the sidekick. Obviously whether or not she gets one and any options we change would do things to the net.

Upvote 0
Ok so what would the following cost me with VZ.

Family plan 1400 minutes, unlimited messaging, data, web, email for ms exchange is

$139.99 Family plan?

PDA/Smartphones qualify for the "select" plan, not the premium. So, take the pricing for your devices then add $29.99 for the smartphone data plan and $10 for their crappy VZ Navigator.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the GPS is going to be crippled on Verizon like they did with the Blackberry I used to have. They turn it off and then force you to spend $10 a month on VZ Navigator just to get the GPS you already paid for. It's amazingly unethical if you ask me, but what can you do?

Does anyone have any idea if they're crippling the GPS on these new smart phones?

Upvote 0
So I am looking at at least $180 a month then? I pay $109 with Sprint, hard to justify for me.

If you have one regular phone that needs unlimited data and a smartphone that needs the smartphone data plan, I'm not sure how that pricing would work out. The plans start out with two phones at the same level. In your case, it sounds like you have one line that needs premium service and another that needs the smartphone service. I don't know how that works in the family plan.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the GPS is going to be crippled on Verizon like they did with the Blackberry I used to have. They turn it off and then force you to spend $10 a month on VZ Navigator just to get the GPS you already paid for. It's amazingly unethical if you ask me, but what can you do?

Does anyone have any idea if they're crippling the GPS on these new smart phones?

I know, I'm answering my own post, but I'm checking with our Verizon rep right now. It sounds like they do disable GPS and then make you pay to get it back. I'll let you know if that's definite or not.

Upvote 0

The Verizon CEO said in their Google press conference that something is either Open or it is not. And I believe that the Droid is supposed to be Open.

I would bet that they are not going to cripple the GPS. But then again I didn't think CD's would catch on either.

Upvote 0
Unlimited Data for Smartphones is $44.99 and the difference is the ability to connect up with Exchange/BES servers and be able to sync contacts, appointments, calendars, etc. wirelessly. Add $15 to ur above minute plan if you require these features. Most personal users do not require this package.

If I sign up for the cheaper data package is it impossible to use push e-mail or am I just not supposed to? How can Verizon limit push e-mail over their network based on the package I use?

Upvote 0

No, Verizon is no longer crippling their phones. If the phone supports GPS, it is included now. Also, they do not seem to be messing with the OEM's software anymore either. I think this is a huge plus for the Verizon users.

But, it does not mean they won't try to add new features that cost per month. One example of this is the new TV feature of the HTC Imagio. Cell companies will be finding new ways to increase their revenue with add-ons.

Jeff

Upvote 0
I know, I'm answering my own post, but I'm checking with our Verizon rep right now. It sounds like they do disable GPS and then make you pay to get it back. I'll let you know if that's definite or not.

That would seem weird to me. They are not disabling GPS on any of the HPC WinMo devices. I can't see them doing it on the Android units.

Upvote 0
What do you guys think the chances are of Verizon charging less once this phone hits to start being more competitive with other carriers such as sprint offering unlimited everything for $100? The whole Android and open software concept is new for them, tell me there's at least some evidence backing my theory.
I just can't afford the extra $30 a month while I'm in college with a typical monthly paycheck of $100 or less. But i DO want this phone, it's looking incredible!!

Upvote 0
What do you guys think the chances are of Verizon charging less once this phone hits to start being more competitive with other carriers such as sprint offering unlimited everything for $100? The whole Android and open software concept is new for them, tell me there's at least some evidence backing my theory.
I just can't afford the extra $30 a month while I'm in college with a typical monthly paycheck of $100 or less. But i DO want this phone, it's looking incredible!!

Personally I don't see Verizon lowering their prices at all. They are going to say you are paying for the better network. Which Verizon does have one of the best networks out there.

Jeff

Upvote 0

There is no chance. They are competitive with ATT and are not losing market share to sprint or TMobile.

Upvote 0
For my family, we're getting the basic 1400 minute family plan for 89.99, pluse 44.99 for data so I can tether. The only reason we did 1400 minutes on the family plan is so we can have the favorites list. The beauty of using an Android phone is the ability to use it with Google Voice. So I have a Google Voice account, when calls come in they are routed through the Google Voice number (which is one of my favorites) and thus I don't pay minutes for the call. With this service, you also get transcripts of emails routed to your gmail account so you don't need visual voice mail. Finally, Google Voice provides free text messaging. No MMS support so if you do this you'll need a minimal Verizon plan $5 for 250. Because my company uses Verizon, we get a 22% discount. I'm currently on AT&T with an iPhone and moving over to Verizon with essentially the same services plus tethering I'll be saving about $40/month. It seems competitive to me considering the big jump in network performance going from AT&T to Verizon.

Upvote 0
For my family, we're getting the basic 1400 minute family plan for 89.99, pluse 44.99 for data so I can tether. The only reason we did 1400 minutes on the family plan is so we can have the favorites list. The beauty of using an Android phone is the ability to use it with Google Voice. So I have a Google Voice account, when calls come in they are routed through the Google Voice number (which is one of my favorites) and thus I don't pay minutes for the call. With this service, you also get transcripts of emails routed to your gmail account so you don't need visual voice mail. Finally, Google Voice provides free text messaging. No MMS support so if you do this you'll need a minimal Verizon plan $5 for 250. Because my company uses Verizon, we get a 22% discount. I'm currently on AT&T with an iPhone and moving over to Verizon with essentially the same services plus tethering I'll be saving about $40/month. It seems competitive to me considering the big jump in network performance going from AT&T to Verizon.

Tethering requires a total of 60. 44.99 just gives you corporate wireless support for sync of contacts, calensar, etc past the normal email. ad the 15 tether plan and ur good to go

Upvote 0
So, are we thinking then that the Droid will support VZW tethering? I know I read that Google removed 3rd-party tethering apps from the market awhile back, but that was due to "agreements with the carriers".

It doesn't really matter to me if VZ continues to charge for tethering, as my company pays for it on my phone now. I really hope it is supported, that would be the final nail in my i760's coffin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones