• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What ROM should I use?

TravelDave

May 4, 2010
I'm currently on 2.1 (not rooted). Am considering finally rooting so that I can do wi-fi tether on a tablet. I'm looking for advice on what ROM to use? A few considerations:

1) I currently use HTC Sync to sync calendar and contacts with Outlook at work. I want to make sure I can still do that with whatever new ROM I use.

2) I'd like to be able to utilize my SD card for Apps. I currently keep battling with my phone being low on storage space (Angry Birds alone takes up >10% of available space).

3) I wouldn't argue if my battery life improved.

Any advice is appreciated. I know very little about rooting and haven't been able to spend much time digging around the various posts (a little overwhelming).

Thanks,
Dave

the firerat mod looks harder than it is.BUT it is very easy, so follow me
QUOTE(xda):
Now onto the mod
: Heres a quick description of what this mod is doing. Pretend your phone is a pizza cut into 3 even pieces. Each piece is memory for /cache, /system, /data. Your aneroxic sister "aka cache" doesnt eat a lot so most of her slice will always be left, your fat obese brother "/data" always eats his whole slice and is left wanting more. You are healthy "/system" and only eat what you need and never less never more.

What this mod is doing is taking that original pizza and RECUTTING the slices to better fit whos eating them, so since your aneroxic sister barely eats and your obese brother is always hungry it takes all the extra pizza "aka memory" from your sister and gives it to your brother. As for you "aka /system" you only eat exactly what you need "aka the size of the rom and files it install" so it resizes your own slice to exactly the number it needs to install the rom and its gapps/files and leaves you with just a little wiggle room.

ok, now that you have read that, lets get moving.
1.nandroid
2.download these files:Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire) Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire will explain what these are for later)
3a.put on sdcard
3b. make a txt file that says mtdpartmap.txt and put 105 2(if ur using gb)(you could go lower, like 65 2 thats what i heard, but experiment with higher/lower values starting with 185 2
4. wipe EVERYTHING or, just data/cache/dalvic cache.(it worked for me in RA but it might not work in clockwork for the data/cache/dalvik wipe.) EVERYTHING = data, cache,dalvik cache(advanced) mounts and storage: format boot/cache/data/system
5. flash the recovery
6. redo step 4
7. reboot recovery
8. flash rom,gapps, etc.
9. flash boot
10.reboot
11. enjoy your space!

Upvote 0
Thanks! Sounds like the ASOP is a good choice. Will the HTC Sync software still work with that?

Mahalo - I may take you up on the offier of assistance. How long do you think the process takes? Do I need to load any software on my PC to do this? I'm no sure when I'll have the opportunity to do this (may not be for a week or two) but I'm looking forward to finally taking the plunge.

Thanks,
Dave

Upvote 0
Thanks! Sounds like the ASOP is a good choice. Will the HTC Sync software still work with that?

Mahalo - I may take you up on the offier of assistance. How long do you think the process takes? Do I need to load any software on my PC to do this? I'm no sure when I'll have the opportunity to do this (may not be for a week or two) but I'm looking forward to finally taking the plunge.

Thanks,
Dave

You really do not need any PC software to root or flash new ROMs. Everything can technically be done right from your handset.

There are PC based rooting methods, but you can just use Z4Root to root your Sprint HTC Hero. In my opinion, the whole process of rooting, backing up, and flashing a new ROM really should not take more than an hour total for a beginner.

Upvote 0
Sounds like I can find Z4Root on the Market and hopefully that's fairly idiotproof to use to get rooted. So then do I just need to figure out the following?

1) How to find Nandroid backup
2) How to use Nandroid backup (before putting a new ROM on)
3) Where to find 2.3 aospCM7mod ROM
4) How to install the ROM

Am I missing any steps? What's the easiest way to get through those pieces?

Thanks,
Dave
Am

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sounds like I can find Z4Root on the Market and hopefully that's fairly idiotproof to use to get rooted. So then do I just need to figure out the following?

1) How to find Nandroid backup
2) How to use Nandroid backup (before putting a new ROM on)
3) Where to find 2.3 aospCM7mod ROM
4) How to install the ROM

Am I missing any steps? What's the easiest way to get through those pieces?

Thanks,
Dave
Am

Z4Root was removed from the Android Market early last December and can be found here: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service .

Just copy that to the microSD card in your handset via USB and then use a file explorer like EStrongs File Explorer to navigate to the .apk file and install it. You can run Z4Root and do a permanent root after you do the above.

Upvote 0
google search for z4root -
Don't think its in the market anymore.

Process - Root phone....Download Rom Manager -
Flash Clockwork Recovery - In Rom Manager

Make a backup /Nandroid in Rom Manager.

Instruction for DL'ing and flashing are Here [ROM] aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.3 / CM7 (Gingerbread) [03/26/2011] - xda-developers

Also check out Donb's My root process http://androidforums.com/sprint-hero-all-things-root/211755-my-root-process-those-want-learn-process.html

Is this ROM truly flawless with everything working now? I ask because I flashed an AOSP mod back in the beginning of Dec. 2010, and absolutely loved it. The one problem I had was that if my phone went into standby while in camera mode, i would have to force close the camera app and reboot the phone before i could use the camera again. This got to be a pain because i am constantly taking opportune pics of the kids. So I went to LiquidSense. I like it, but miss the speed and extra memory (RAM) that AOSP allowed me.

If you guys tell me this ROM is working great, i will probably flash it tomorrow, already backed up all my stuff today with Titanium :)

Upvote 0
Is this ROM truly flawless with everything working now? I ask because I flashed an AOSP mod back in the beginning of Dec. 2010, and absolutely loved it. The one problem I had was that if my phone went into standby while in camera mode, i would have to force close the camera app and reboot the phone before i could use the camera again. This got to be a pain because i am constantly taking opportune pics of the kids. So I went to LiquidSense. I like it, but miss the speed and extra memory (RAM) that AOSP allowed me.

If you guys tell me this ROM is working great, i will probably flash it tomorrow, already backed up all my stuff today with Titanium :)

The rom is practically flawless and IMO and many others could be considered stable. I just even opened the camera app and let it sleep and no force close. I would highly suggest flashing it. This rom has come a long way since December. If you notice lately no one is discussing problems with rom because there are none to speak of and the talk is all about tweaks.

Reactions: jasonofx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones