• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What ROM's are people using and why?

I've been using Redux 1.2 with powersave for the past day and night.
The standby/sleep battery life seems incredible almost to the point of impossible.
On standby overnight GV would go down to about 93% over 6 hours.
Redux was at 99% this morning and that was because I turned to screen on to look at the time and also deleted two emails that arrived overnight.

Redux almost doesn't seem to use battery on standby - it must be Voodoo ;)
Very impressed.

The ROM seems to be smooth and lag free in use as well.

Upvote 0
Its a surprisingly good rom for something so light and battery life is much better than GV.

I am ashamed to say, I'm not going back.

On HSDPA I am pulling 4mA on standby (same as GV) with manu 1.4, but its much more consistant.

I've got to admit if I don't run into any problems I may not be going back either.
The battery life is the best I have found so far.
Would I get any better battery using the manU kernel over the powersave setting in the default kernel?

Never had a problem with manU but haven't had any lag problems with powersave setting in Redux either.

Upvote 0
Its a surprisingly good rom for something so light and battery life is much better than GV.

I am ashamed to say, I'm not going back.
No shame in it - may have to try it myself sometime. ;)

On HSDPA I am pulling 4mA on standby (same as GV) with manu 1.4, but its much more consistant.
I'm actually finding that right now, with a -95 -> -100 dBm 3G/HSDPA signal I'm pulling 2-3 mA in standby. About the same with 2G (-71 dBm) and no data. This is about as low as I've ever managed with my handset, and I think the lowest I've managed with 3G active. WiFi in standby draws more (about 5 mA, sitting quite close to router). This is with the leaked drivers but a different RIL - I tried again, but the leaked RIL really doesn't work for me.

Trouble is, I'm not back in my normal routine (I'm working from home this week) so it's hard to compare battery life with the norm. So I should prob. try this setup next week for a few days before I think about testing Redux.

Upvote 0
I second redux. The battery life woes that I've had with stock (unrooted) & GV have vanished. It really is astounding.
I like the simplicity of Redux too. I hated sense, and used to use LPP, but to be honest, I really prefer the standard android layout.
It's like a blank canvas, and I can do what I bloody well please with it! Well done redux *slow applause, and a shake of the head* well done!

Upvote 0
Why is everyone so obsessed with Sense? I find it to be ugly as hell. The big grey layouts, eww.. One of the main reasons I wanted to root in the first place. Google's own apps feel so much better.
It's not Sense itself, it's the Sense apps, the look of the dialer, contacts (people), gallery, peep and other apps are just clean and looks nice over AOSP's apps. Even with Sense I run alternative launchers, not a huge fan of Sense's Rosie launcher but I do like the HTC lockscreen, slide down is more ergo for me than sliding right- at least CM7 has the "lens" lockscreen.

Upvote 0
Personally I like the Sense widgets, clock and apps like dialler and contacts.
But I hate the launcher dock with a passion because it can't be customised, it's ugly and basic.
If I could change the buttons on the dock (and have 5 of them) like a 3rd party launcher I might consider sense again.

Having said that, AOSP is just faster and smoother and it makes Sense feel bloated and overweight, ASOP just has less features and integration than Sense.

Upvote 0
Hey guys!

Just interested to know what ROMs are you all using on your Desires, and why are you using that particular one? (I am considering changing my ROM from GingerVillain just as a change :p)

Also... Is there a stable Gingerbread Sense ROM yet, and is there any Sense 3.0 ROMs yet?

>>> THANKKS!! <<<

:D

Upvote 0
GV 2.2...and suuuuper happy with the battery life since installing Juice Defender beta. I now get a good 2.5 days out of it, 30min of surfing, 1hr of music, checking emails every 20min, 5min call every hour, and tons of texts. Screen brightness is set to "auto" too.

Using LP Plus on top of stock, and the GV stock Kernel. Battery hasn't been calibrated since installing the ROM.

Upvote 0
After getting my desire in Jan, I started getting low space problem very soon.

So started with simplest Leedroid 2.3 sense A2SD+ ROM. no drastic change and I get more space on my ext3 partition. Perfect for the start.

But with that I want Sense HD ROM to get more out of Sense. So tried Insertcoin it was great but bit lagged on my desire so now I wanted more speed and upgrade.

Best Rom that time was oxygen and gingervillain. I wanted more feature so gone with GV. great rom with speed and battery life and very stable.

Few days ago I got tired of same look so tried MIUI-XJ ROM. Wow totally revamped interface and very snappy.

So for me best ROM as of now is GV and MIUI-XJ till I get bored of this and might go back to sense 3.0 (updated) ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones