• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What the Hero lacks to be perfect

I have had the Hero for just over two weeks now.
I got it in exchange for the iPhone 3GS that was my first choice but it sorely disappointed me so I gave it back before the required 7 days and got myself the Hero instead.
Well, I'm so happy I did that!
I also own a Nokia N97 and my old faithful HTC TouchHD which is 10 months old but is still the best Win Mob phone on the market (at least here in Denmark where Toshiba's TG01 is not imported); the Hero however has quickly become my favorite phone and I think it just lacks 3 things to be just about perfect.
One of those things is a flash for the camera and there is'nt much to do about that, but the other two are to normal apps available since years on most cheapo feature phones and for every other mobile OS:

1) A decent , horizontal, virtual qwerty Kboard: something like "FingerKeyboard" for WinMob, which I installed on my TouchHD and which is good enough as to make a physical keyboard totally redundant .

2) The other is a voice dialing app.
In my frigid, little country to be caught with a phone in my hands while driving my car can easily cost me my driving licence, and the excellent voice app in the TouchHD (Cyberon) spoiled me to the point that now I would be ready to pay good euros for a similar program for Android. Something like MS Voice Commander, or even something simpler, just to call out contacts (possibly whith BT support), it should'nt be such a big deal.

How comes that Android developers concentrate only in producing farting apps and strobo lights for cell phones?
Do they have an idea of how many peoples would be ready to pony up for some apps that are actually useful?
I looked very hard but I could'nt find any programme free or for sale to patch these two gaping holes in the Hero's menu.

Is there anyone who knows of some?
Maybe just the horizontal qwerty keyboard?
Please?

I have had the Hero for just over two weeks now.
I got it in exchange for the iPhone 3GS that was my first choice but it sorely disappointed me so I gave it back before the required 7 days and got myself the Hero instead.
Well, I'm so happy I did that!
I also own a Nokia N97 and my old faithful HTC TouchHD which is 10 months old but is still the best Win Mob phone on the market (at least here in Denmark where Toshiba's TG01 is not imported); the Hero however has quickly become my favorite phone and I think it just lacks 3 things to be just about perfect.
One of those things is a flash for the camera and there is'nt much to do about that, but the other two are to normal apps available since years on most cheapo feature phones and for every other mobile OS:

1) A decent , horizontal, virtual qwerty Kboard: something like "FingerKeyboard" for WinMob, which I installed on my TouchHD and which is good enough as to make a physical keyboard totally redundant .

2) The other is a voice dialing app.
In my frigid, little country to be caught with a phone in my hands while driving my car can easily cost me my driving licence, and the excellent voice app in the TouchHD (Cyberon) spoiled me to the point that now I would be ready to pay good euros for a similar program for Android. Something like MS Voice Commander, or even something simpler, just to call out contacts (possibly whith BT support), it should'nt be such a big deal.

How comes that Android developers concentrate only in producing farting apps and strobo lights for cell phones?
Do they have an idea of how many peoples would be ready to pony up for some apps that are actually useful?
I looked very hard but I could'nt find any programme free or for sale to patch these two gaping holes in the Hero's menu.

Is there anyone who knows of some?
Maybe just the horizontal qwerty keyboard?
Please?

there are many different keyboards to choose from paid and free i personally use this one http://getyourdroidon.com/root/htc_cime_hero_7mb_update.zip but there are many to choose from... you can browse them here http://www.cyrket.com/search?q=keyboard&o=0 but will have to download them from the market.... and i have voice dialing on my g1 so im assuming you do as well just hold down the call button for a 5 count and it will pop up and await your choice...

Upvote 0
There are MANY, MANY keyboards on android market. Do a search.

And there is a voice dialing app.

I will attach it. I am not sure if you need root or not for this, but you might.

I hope you know how to terminal and android SDK now. Anyway put the APK in your tools folder.

Code:
adb remount
adb push /system/app/VoiceDialer.apk

And stop complaining about fart apps and strobe lights. You have not seen the iPhone App Store.

Upvote 0
I know that the G1 (apparently only the US version) came with voice dialing but The Magic (MyTouch) and the Hero don't have it, and apparently the G1's programs will not work whith the latest software installed on the latest phones.

And I'm not complaining about farting apps, I guess that if they are available in such a variety it must be because there is a market for it, I just whish that these two essential apps would get some attention too.

Thanks for the links, I'm gonna check them out straight away. I'm specially excited about the voice dialing app coz I had been told by some "expert" that I would have to wait at least until 2010 for one to appear.

I'll let you know how they performed (in my humble opinion of course).

UPDATE

I knew it!!!!

I can't use any of the links you have kindly provided me because we decadent and immoral europeans are not allowed to get into the "Market".
We are only trusted to access the free apps.
Please tell me that you have a solution that would'nt require me to emigrate to the US of A ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones