• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What to do while waiting...

BigRedNole

Aug 20, 2009
OK, like many people out there/here, I am waiting for Android to come to Verizon. To be honest, I am not too familiar with Android other than the little bits I have read on several sites including here. Since I do not have a device, it is almost foreign to me.

1. I know it has a bunch of apps similar to the iPhone
2. I know it is Google's Linux-type mobile OS
3. Previously, my cell phone was for making and receiving calls when not at home. This is supposed to get me into the 21st century. I am not a techno-geek (sorry, lack of a better term for you geniuses out there) but I keep up with technology and do know quite a bit. I can stumble my way through Linux on the computer.

Now that I am waiting for a Verizon Android phone, what should I be doing to get educated?

1. The wiki states that apps can't be installed on the SD card. That's not good
2. Some other guides talk about rooting, un-rooting, etc. What or where can you learn about that type of "stuff"?

In general, what can I do or where can I go to be ready when I purchase the Verizon Android?

OK, like many people out there/here, I am waiting for Android to come to Verizon. To be honest, I am not too familiar with Android other than the little bits I have read on several sites including here. Since I do not have a device, it is almost foreign to me.

1. I know it has a bunch of apps similar to the iPhone
2. I know it is Google's Linux-type mobile OS
3. Previously, my cell phone was for making and receiving calls when not at home. This is supposed to get me into the 21st century. I am not a techno-geek (sorry, lack of a better term for you geniuses out there) but I keep up with technology and do know quite a bit. I can stumble my way through Linux on the computer.

Now that I am waiting for a Verizon Android phone, what should I be doing to get educated?

1. The wiki states that apps can't be installed on the SD card. That's not good
2. Some other guides talk about rooting, un-rooting, etc. What or where can you learn about that type of "stuff"?

In general, what can I do or where can I go to be ready when I purchase the Verizon Android?

I suggest hanging out here in the forums...clicking on current topics, and reading older topics. You can learn a lot, ask questions like you did and meet some long time android folks.

Rooting will allow you to install apps to the SD card. I am sure someone will be along shortly to point you to the best root guide. I haven't done it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones