• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Verizon Plan Are You Getting/Using?

didn't they remove those?

Last time I checked, the only options were, no txt plan, or the unlimited for an extra 20 dollars a month...

I'm currently on the 10 /500 plan myself...

I was given multiple text plan options when I preordered the Incredible. The best text plan was 5000 texts/month for $20, while VZW is offering unlimited text per month for $20... so I'll probably change that later.

Actually, now that I have an Android I won't need to get text updates for weather/sports/news/facebook/myspace, so maybe I'll be able to drop my text plan and save some money. Something to consider I suppose.

Upvote 0
I pay $147.97 (after taxes) for a family share plan with 2 phones.
1400 minutes + 10 friends

Dummy phone has unlimited sms/mms.
Blackberry has unlimited sms/mms + data.

With the +10 friends we barely go over 200 used minutes a month, but if I drop to 900 or whatever the next lower plan is I lose the +10 and would end up going over the 900 minutes.

A catch 22. It would seem as though Verizon has researched this a little... :p

Upvote 0
i have a plan 1400 minutes unlimited text/mms, insurance for all, 30$ data plan for blackberry, roadside assistance and visual voicemail. All said and done we use about 1300 minutes a month and thats with the 10 favorite numbers. my bill comes out to 210 a month and thats with 20% discount through my employer.

Upvote 0
Just upgraded with my NE2 from my Blackberry to the Incredible. I'm saving around $35 on my plan now! I always choose the cheapest calling plan because my entire family, immediate and extended, all use Verizon. So do my closest friends, so I barely ever hit the 450 minute mark on random calls.

Nationwide Talk 450 minutes (2-yr contract) $32.39
Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email) $23.99
500 messages PLUS Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Messaging $10.00
Extended Warranty $1.99 (thinking of changing this to full insurance...)

Total Due Monthly $68.37 (down from nearly ~$105 with my Blackberry!)

Edit: Just noticed these numbers are INCLUDING my employee discount for work.

Upvote 0
I'm really curious about using GV for texting. I read that there might be a 15 min delay between messages because google only checks for new messages every 15 minutes. Is it really equal to regular text messages? It would save me about twenty dollars a month so it would be a win win, but I text more than anything else so I need it to be dependable. If I am sitting outside my friend's house and I text them that I am there, I don't want to wait 15 minutes for a response!

Upvote 0
I'm really curious about using GV for texting. I read that there might be a 15 min delay between messages because google only checks for new messages every 15 minutes. Is it really equal to regular text messages? It would save me about twenty dollars a month so it would be a win win, but I text more than anything else so I need it to be dependable. If I am sitting outside my friend's house and I text them that I am there, I don't want to wait 15 minutes for a response!

I've heard its more like 5 minutes, but I could be mistaken.

Upvote 0

But even at five minutes, that is a long time to wait for a response. I am texting my friend right now, and I get the reply so fast, I don't even understand how she is typing the message! I guess the response to me would be "just use regular texting then", but if I am missing something I would love to hear it and save some money! :)

Upvote 0
But even at five minutes, that is a long time to wait for a response. I am texting my friend right now, and I get the reply so fast, I don't even understand how she is typing the message! I guess the response to me would be "just use regular texting then", but if I am missing something I would love to hear it and save some money! :)
Yeah, it seems to be for the more casual texter, rather than someone who uses texting as their main form of communication. But still, don't take my word for it, I've never used GV, I'm just going on what I've read about it.

Upvote 0
We have the Nationwide 700 minute Family Plan w/unlimited Texting. We have 3 lines. Eventually, I'm going to look into getting rid of one line, and then splitting us up. We get a 15% ee discount, but only on the main line. We both work for the same company. Once my hubby gets a smartphone and needs data, I think it will be cheaper to do it that way. We get 15% off regular plan and 15% off data. Also, 700 minutes is WAY too many. Neither of us ever talk on the phone. If we use 75 minutes a month between the 2 of us, that is a stretch. Texting though, thats another story! Need the unlimited texting! LOL Added the 3rd line just to get the Eris which I returned for the Incredible.

Upvote 0

GV was updated several weeks ago. Now all notifications are pushed instantly. You won't miss your texting plan!

Upvote 0

I haven't use my GV yet (waiting for Inc) but even with regular texting it can take up to 10+ minutes to get to another person. I have one Brother on Vz & one on AT&T (w/ iphone); we tested one day while sitting next to each other and some would be instantaneous and we had one take up to 20 min, the one from me (vz) to at&t.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones