• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FoxFi concerns (JB 4.1.2, rooted, Verizon unlimited plan)

trale

Jul 16, 2010
So I just downloaded and tried out FoxFi, and to my pleasant surprise it totally works, seemingly without any hassles, on my Galaxy S3 (JB 4.1.2, rooted). I migrated my unlimited data plan over from my previous phone, but I do not have Verizon's mobile hotspot functionality on that plan.

This appears too good to be true, so I'm searching for information about FoxFi and verizon. Here's a collection of what I found so far:

1) FoxFi has a compatibility list, and according to it, my device (since it's 4.1.2) shouldn't work, but it DOES as I have tested.
FoxFi Devices - So what's going on? Is this list outdated?

2) FCC Says Verizon Can't Block Tethering Apps
Okay, that's good news.

3) When I start the wifi tethering in Foxfi, the status bar shows the Verizon Mobile hotspot icon, indicating that it's through Verizon's app. This is troubling.

So my first concern is, will I be charged extra? (Since I never paid for hotspot features, and I assume Verizon can find out I'm using tethering without paying, especially since Foxfi seems to use V's app). Will they automatically put that on my bill next time? Or worse will they cancel my unlimited plan?

4) There are indications (from various posts I've read) that Verizon treats unlimited plan customers differently, and there will not be negative consequences for my using FoxFi... I guess only time will tell.

5) I've also read that Verizon might treat differently depending on whether tethering is used for other mobile devices (tablets) vs laptops/PCs. Any truth to this? Would I get in more trouble if I'm using unpaid tethering for connecting laptops vs a tablet?

So basically, I'm holding off for another month before I seriously use Foxfi, waiting for my next bill to come in (I currently probably used a few MB on it), and in the meantime just gathering intel.

Does anyone have any more information regarding this matter? What are some "best practices" in regards to using FoxFi or any tethering app? I don't intend to abuse it, but use it when it is really handy or necessary.

The FCC ruled that Verizon cannot block access to tethering apps. However, you are correct that Verizon treats it's unlimited customers differently. This "double dipping" where Verizon charges for limited data and tethering stopped with this ruling. However this ruling did not extend to unlimited customers and they must still purchase a tethering plan. Failure to do so and being caught by Verizon will have consequences from being moved to a limited plan from a unlimited plan without warning or consent, up to termination of service. That is Verizon's call because you violated the TOS when you tethered.

Upvote 0
Thanks jhawkkw. I did some more research based on what you wrote, and you are correct. Technically, I cannot use tethering without paying, because I'm on the old unlimited contract. That is disappointing - now that I know I CAN do it, I have to stay away from the temptation.

And funky you are absolutely correct. We are being gouged over here for wireless. But To each (region) his own, I guess - you guys have your own share of overpriced commodities.

Upvote 0
Thanks jhawkkw. I did some more research based on what you wrote, and you are correct. Technically, I cannot use tethering without paying, because I'm on the old unlimited contract. That is disappointing - now that I know I CAN do it, I have to stay away from the temptation.

And funky you are absolutely correct. We are being gouged over here for wireless. But To each (region) his own, I guess - you guys have your own share of overpriced commodities.

The way i see it.. its a game of cat and mouse.. if u can get away with it, do it.
These carriers are making like $20 per month, per customer i heard quoted.. pure profit! Its not right man.
I keep hoping Google will do what they did with broadband in.. was it Cansas (Kansas?) Where they gave it away free.
Imagine they gave free unlimited data limited to a fair bandwidth to Android users. Its in their interest for us to use the internet more and they know its nowhere near as expensive to provide as the providers would have us believe.
Man id love if google did something like that :beer:

Upvote 0
The FCC ruled that Verizon cannot block access to tethering apps. However, you are correct that Verizon treats it's unlimited customers differently. This "double dipping" where Verizon charges for limited data and tethering stopped with this ruling. However this ruling did not extend to unlimited customers and they must still purchase a tethering plan. Failure to do so and being caught by Verizon will have consequences from being moved to a limited plan from a unlimited plan without warning or consent, up to termination of service. That is Verizon's call because you violated the TOS when you tethered.

^^^^^Exactly what he said ^^^^^

I stayed on ICS and am using a Hotspot toggle which bypasses the Verizon check for Hotspot. JB was not a sufficient enough upgrade for me to lose tethering capabilities (with JB that hole was plugged up).

Upvote 0
^^^^^Exactly what he said ^^^^^

I stayed on ICS and am using a Hotspot toggle which bypasses the Verizon check for Hotspot. JB was not a sufficient enough upgrade for me to lose tethering capabilities (with JB that hole was plugged up).

Even bypassing the check, Verizon can still detect that your tethering if they really wanted to by checking packet transfers. They usually won't bother checking though unless you rack up large amounts of GB's in their opinion.

Upvote 0
Even bypassing the check, Verizon can still detect that your tethering if they really wanted to by checking packet transfers. They usually won't bother checking though unless you rack up large amounts of GB's in their opinion.

Exactly, which is why I do not abuse it. Only use it in a pinch when traveling with the kids. I have unlimited and the likelihood of them coming after me is negligible.

Upvote 0

Agreed. I'm not a big tether person, but I have been known to open up FoxFi about once a month. So far, I haven't had any issues with Verizon saying anything about it. I'm hoping that as long as it is a random occurrence and not a regular occurrence that it wont be an issue.

Upvote 0
My carrier threatened to throttle peoples bandwidth if they thought they were tethering. At one point my data was really slow so i rang customer care to see if they were throttling me and see if i could apologise and get some speed back but the dude said "we have no system in place to throttle bandwidth.... but dont tether" lol

Upvote 0
My carrier threatened to throttle peoples bandwidth if they thought they were tethering. At one point my data was really slow so i rang customer care to see if they were throttling me and see if i could apologise and get some speed back but the dude said "we have no system in place to throttle bandwidth.... but dont tether" lol

Watch out, or they'll wave their finger at you.

dikembe-mutumbo-geico.png

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

I was on an unlimited plan and used PDANET for all my computer work because I don't have WIFI in Pennsylvania. I am not rooted and my only punishment was a throttling of date when I exceeded 2gb. PDANET has a one-time charge which saved me lots of money for the 6 months I spend in PA. Works well and I recomend it.

JM

Upvote 0
Id like to keep up on this thread and see what happens. I am also on the grandfathered unlimited and just bought a GS3 from a friend. I hooked up my FoxFi and did about 800mb of tethering this month and now an worried cause it shows on the phone that I was tethering. I used to have a Droid Bionic and would tether with FoxFi all the time probably like 3gb per month every month. Now im kinda waiting and seeing what happens on the next bill.

Upvote 0
I have same scenario as trale's post. Have unlimited grandfather plan, updated to JB 4.1.2, am not signed up for hotspot/tether plan with Verizon (have Razr MAXX). Foxfi does not work as standalone, but native wifi hotspot IS working ("Mobile Hotspot" box checked in "Tethering & Hotspot" settings), and under the Mobile Hotspot checkbox field, it states "Mobile Hotspot FoxFi is active".

Trying to figure out if any ramifications from Verizon, or even if they are detecting to begin with (i also have FoxFi AddOn which is supposed to block visibility to carrier via proxy server setting).

Any input / advice is appreciated. thx

Upvote 0
I am glad this issue has been brought up. I happen to be on the Bionic, but this is still very relevant. Up until I did some updating to my Wife's phone, we were able to use Wifi Tether for use in our house. We have the unlimited plan with Verizon and typically use over 200GB a month between the two of us on our two phones. Netflix is playing all day long. That has been going on for 7 months without Verizon saying a thing. We have even called Verizon about other questions about our account and they have not brought our usage up. This should bring comfort to those only using 50 gigs or less.

To the point, I am now about to start using FoxFi as an alternative on my Wife's phone. Are there any confirmed instances where Verizon has either kicked you off of the Unlimited Plan, or started charging you for their Hotspot service? I keep hearing people say it can or does happen, but never a first person experience of it actually happening. As you can imagine, with the amount of data we use, I do not want to lose my unlimited plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones