• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What was your last phone before Android?

Motorola V557 -
Motorola-V557.png

Upvote 0
the env3. it seems like no one here had an env haha

Nokia 6110, then various flip phones from Motorola, Samsung and LG, then a Motorola RAZR. Then I had an enV2 and then an enV Touch. Nice phones, but the enV2 used to restart itself all the time. I went through 3 of them in 6 months due to that and other issues (keyboard failure, total phone failure) and I'm pretty easy on my phones--no drops, accidents or anything. The 4th one I had lasted me over a year.

The Touch has been rock solid. I had it warrantied after a month due to a cracked display. I've had the current one for 9 months and it's still going strong. When my X arrives in a few days, my wife is going to dump her enV2 and take my Touch.

Upvote 0
I tried Symbian (Nokia N95) looking for an easy and open OS, but was disappointed by the messy and un-intuitive way things were done (seems like everything was done "top-down" ie: instead of listening to what users/developers want, Symbian/Nokia called the shots, and eventually confused and p*ssed people off).

Then I tried BlackBerry (Tour 9630 on GSM), and was impressed by the solid, intuitive OS, but in the end the BIS data restrictions killed me ie: I was trying to use it with only a APN (TCP/IP connection) and kept having problems. Plus RIM didn't have any sideways sliders, like the Droid, so lack of hardware choices was limiting as well..

Now I've got a Moto Milestone, and so far I'm really impressed by the simple/easy way things are done with Android. It looks like Google works it "bottom up" ie: they listen to the users/developers and base the OS on their input. There's still some kinks to work out (ex: running the same OS on a variety of hardware mfgs can sometimes run into problems for devs, and result in unstable apps) but Android is in it's "Windos 95" stage right now, I'm sure give it a year or two and things will be running much smoother...

Upvote 0
q9m, windows mobile. The phone is great and has survived a lot since I've been letting my kids play with it for a while and its been dropped, stepped on, thrown etc.
Windows mobile OTOH is total crap. Can;t even letmy kids play music without it corrupting the id3tags so everything starts coming up as unknown album/unknown artist.

Upvote 0
Blackberry Curve 8310, so far I mostly miss the individual ring tones I had for different people. I knew who was calling by the ringtone. Is there an App to do that for Android?
I use Ringdroid to make ringtones from my mp3's, then set them for various contacts (menu/options in the contact, on a Moto Droid anyway).

Upvote 0
uughh letss see haha, got the behold when it first came out, from there about 6 months later i switched to a blackberry pearl [not a bad phone for the casual user but had major lags here and there] than i finally got an 3gs unlocked it and used it on the tmo network yeah i know no 3g but i didn care too much i didn't have a data plan until i bought this beast! Vibrant all the way

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones