• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help whats the best running app

duct-tape-rolls.jpg

Upvote 0
I found this one today. runkeeper

here is another JogTracker - Android app on AppBrain

I like RunKeeper but the GPS seems a little flaky at times. One thing I would love to see is the option for voice prompts telling information such as distance ran, time, etc...

Some of the others offer voice prompts but I think they lack many of the features in RunKeeper.

Upvote 0
iMapMyRun has a lot of promise. It is based off the website (http://www.mapmyrun.com/) which is AWESOME. The website lets you map out run ahead of time using Google maps. The "lock to roads" feature is really nice. The website allows you the ability to see other people's running routes around your area, the ability to log your runs, times, etc and the workout calculator which will calculate speed, calories burned, etc if you input distance, weight and time. If they add most of the website's features to the app for easy smartphone access, I don't think any other app will be able to compete.

Having said all of this, the app itself isn't quite there yet, but it appears they are making a real effort to develop it. I think that if they integrate the mapping feature directly into the app itself (the website is a nightmare to use on a smartphone), and they can work out the kinks, this app will beat the others hands down. I say that because none of the other apps even seem to be considering adding the "pre-run-mapping" ability. So like I said, IF imapmyrun does indeed add that functionality it will be in a class of its own.

If you'd like the idea of having an app that will do that as much as I do, please go voice your opinion here on my post: https://mapmyfitness.tenderapp.com/discussions/android/60-map-run-before-running

FYI I don't even think you need to register to post (I didn't).

One more thing to note: MapMyRun accounts are free. I'm sure there are some minor limitations b/c they do sell paid accounts as well, but when I looked, the paid accounts seemed to just unlock a bunch of really advanced features that I wouldn't care about anyway (although a really really hardcore runner may).

Upvote 0
yea def much better then the app she had. thanks alot everyone

I can't tell if you mean imapmyrun or not... If so, I'm glad I could help. I will mention again that imapmyrun isn't quite where it needs to be yet and if it doesn't fit her style you may wanna use another app and just keep an eye on imapmyrun for updates. Some of the other ones mentioned here may be more full featured in there current states. I actually downloaded everything mentioned here and a few others: I'm just gonna end up waiting till imapmyrun has the feature I'm talking about.

Let us know what you decide on!

Upvote 0
I use Runkeeper and love it. allows for tracking of other sports, integrate with FB, has great reports on the website, I find GPS to be very accurate. Only thing missing (as a previous poster said) is audio or vibrating notifications for either distance and/or time - but I can do without this.

Also found an EXCELLENT arm band today, the Armpocket Sport 20. Droid X fits completely inside of it (zips up too), band is very comfortable, has additional storage for ID, key, etc, and comes in both a Small and Medium armband. I highly recommend this as I have been looking FOREVER for an armband to fit this behemoth phone of mine.

Armpocket - Product Comparison - SPORT i-20

I was previously using an armband where the phone stuck out the top of it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones