When HTC releases the Froyo update...

Last Updated:

1. staup640

staup640 New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm a newbie to the android world and had a question about when HTC releases the Froyo update.

I rooted my Evo and installed a ROM and am grateful for all the tutorials available on this and other sites.

So, I was wondering, when a version of Froyo is released for the EVO with everything working (camera, etc..), will it be able to be installed as ROM or will we have to install everything from scratch and root again. I undersand that HTC will not release a ROM, but I was wondering if once they do release it, can one person put on a phone, root it, optimize it, and then distribute it as a ROM or do we all have to start from scratch again?

thanks for all the help guys!

Advertisement
  2. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

A fully-functional Froyo ROM will most likely hit before the official release, and even after the official release there will be custom ROMs based off it. You should never update using the official updates from Sprint or you will risk losing the ability to root forever.

3. frozndevl

frozndevl Member

Could you explain why you would risk the ability to lose root forever? It seems that the devs have been quick to break into root so far on the Evo, what would change?

4. Isaacav3

Isaacav3 Member

They would patch whatever exploit was used to achieve root ala Apple to their later ota updates.

5. blu3g

blu3g Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you wanna keep root then wait for a custom rom. Just look at the incredible and the hero. Incredible came out months ago and just recently gained root access. The hero had root before 2.1, and those that took the official update went without root for weeks. If the devs gave up, which some did, then you would be screwed. So just be smart and wait for a rom with root. You'll thank me in the end.