• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root When HTC releases the Froyo update...

staup640

Lurker
Jun 15, 2010
I'm a newbie to the android world and had a question about when HTC releases the Froyo update.

I rooted my Evo and installed a ROM and am grateful for all the tutorials available on this and other sites.

So, I was wondering, when a version of Froyo is released for the EVO with everything working (camera, etc..), will it be able to be installed as ROM or will we have to install everything from scratch and root again. I undersand that HTC will not release a ROM, but I was wondering if once they do release it, can one person put on a phone, root it, optimize it, and then distribute it as a ROM or do we all have to start from scratch again?

thanks for all the help guys!

A fully-functional Froyo ROM will most likely hit before the official release, and even after the official release there will be custom ROMs based off it. You should never update using the official updates from Sprint or you will risk losing the ability to root forever.
Could you explain why you would risk the ability to lose root forever? It seems that the devs have been quick to break into root so far on the Evo, what would change?

Upvote 0
Yeah, if you wanna keep root then wait for a custom rom. Just look at the incredible and the hero. Incredible came out months ago and just recently gained root access. The hero had root before 2.1, and those that took the official update went without root for weeks. If the devs gave up, which some did, then you would be screwed. So just be smart and wait for a rom with root. You'll thank me in the end.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones