• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When you see another Evo owner, do you strike up a conversation ?

I get the "is that an iPhone?" questions constantly... when I feel like messing with people I tell them "it's the new aPhone, they thought about calling it an iPhone but that was already taken. Plus it doesn't have a gimped OS." A lady at work (with an iphone) was asking me about it saying "doesn't the 4g not work yet?" I just sighed and told her that I've got to hold it just right to make the 4g work... I don't think she got it. I do find it amazing that the one thing that makes people say "wow" the most is the kickstand... new and amazing technology in this phone and the biggest draw from strangers is the damn kickstand!

yes, i love flipping it out where they can't see it and i put the phone on the counter/table and they are like "WTF?" and look behind it to see the kickstand. :D

Upvote 0
How old is the OP? Why should I strike up a conversation a conversation with someone just because they have the same phone as me? I like my phone for what I can do with it but I don't see it as more than it is. IT'S JUST A PHONE.

Im 29 years old, what does striking up a conversation have anything to do with age ? At what age should I have stopped that ?

Considering you are fairly new to these forums, youre really coming in with a bad attitude :/

Upvote 0
God I HATE "so it's like an iPhone?" SOOOOO MUCH AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad: :mad: :mad:

Or even worse... when they ask what phone I got and I say the HTC Evo.. then you get the 'I dont know what that is' look ... followed by "Oh, why didnt you get the iPhone ?"...

Makes me wanna ram my head into glass :D :(

Upvote 0
I really wish I saw more Evo owners. I am the "nerdiest" in my social circle and always considered the geek so none of them have the Evo (a couple of them do have Android phones and I have improved their apps and battery life).

If I did see another Evo owner I'd love to sit around and chat it up and find out how theirs is working for them and if they still love it as much as I do.

Upvote 0
a couple times, to see if they liked it, vice versa, and what apps they were diggin on.

favorite incident with my evo so far though...
me and a buddy were arguing about something (can't really remember what it was about, but it was video related) and he was so sure of himself so he whips out his iphone, fiddles for a sec and then says, your lucky i'm not getting any service. so i pull out my evo, find the youtube video necessary to prove him wrong, and bam! it's playing on my beautiful 4.3in screen. he was annoyed to be proven wrong, really annoyed that my phone worked when his didn't, and then when i put it in front of him via kickstand so he could watch it conveniently on the coffee table, he got pissed and actually walked out of the room for a while.

my laughter followed him out...

and greeted him when he came back in.

Upvote 0
a couple times, to see if they liked it, vice versa, and what apps they were diggin on.

favorite incident with my evo so far though...
me and a buddy were arguing about something (can't really remember what it was about, but it was video related) and he was so sure of himself so he whips out his iphone, fiddles for a sec and then says, your lucky i'm not getting any service. so i pull out my evo, find the youtube video necessary to prove him wrong, and bam! it's playing on my beautiful 4.3in screen. he was annoyed to be proven wrong, really annoyed that my phone worked when his didn't, and then when i put it in front of him via kickstand so he could watch it conveniently on the coffee table, he got pissed and actually walked out of the room for a while.

my laughter followed him out...

and greeted him when he came back in.

Welcome to the forums, and great story !

But to keep this thread on topic, I just found out one of my coworkers got an Evo. Finally, I can talk to someone about it here at work :)

Upvote 0
found two at work, one at walmart, and I "heard" an android phone a day after launch in a public restroom, it was using the default sounds, I am pretty sure it was an Evo, but did not stick around to find out!!! Talked to the 3 others though, and they were all bubbly and excited about it.

Weird enough, I bought a video card off craigslist last weekend, and when I met the guy he made a comment about my email (the sig file has "This message was brought to you by my HTC Evo on the Sprint network") and then whipped out his Evo! BAM! just got it that day and had 30 minutes of questions to ask me about it, and I met him at work to get the vid card! (he might read this and reply saying I exaggerated and that he had it for more than a day, I told him to come to androidforums.com for more info!)

Upvote 0
Most people that know a little about phones will ask me if it's like the iphone and I'll tell them, "No, it's better than the iphone." My wife thinks I'm being too arrogant when I say this.

Just last week at some friend's house, I saw that a buddy of mine had an Evo and we spent the next hour or so talking about its features. We even opened up Qik and did a video call on them while our 3G iphone friends just sat there and watched.

It was absolutely priceless.

Upvote 0
We even opened up Qik and did a video call on them while our 3G iphone friends just sat there and watched.

It was absolutely priceless.

Ha.. well I did this with a buddy of mine at the Ale House. We had a large group of us at the table, and a few of the others had iPhone4, and just watched us as we showed off our Fring app over 3G connection :D

Upvote 0
"Oh, why didnt you get the iPhone ?"...

I've used these a few times. Once to someone holding the iphone4 who went from pretty proud displaying the phone on her counter (retail person) to putting it in her purse after seeing the evo.

"Because I didn't like the small screen on the iphone".
"I tried one, but it was so slow".
"Because I really do "think different". " (lost on the current apple generation)

Upvote 0
I haven't met any Evo users "in the wild" so to speak. Only my husband and my neighbor have them, but we still will chat about our settings, roms etc.

However whenever I see an Evo ad on TV or in the movie theater, I freak out. When I went to the movies last week, there was a TON of sprint ads for the Evo, and the Screenvision guy was using one in the previews. I almost died of excitement for the phone :D

Upvote 0
I had a guest come into my restaurant the other day. He was playing with his Evo on his way in. I asked, "So, how do you like your Evo?" We struck up a conversation while he was waiting for his meal. I was showing him various things he had no idea he could do with the evo. He asked how I knew all this stuff. I pointed him in this direction. I'm sure he's a happy camper now. ^_^

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones