Where are all the noob questions?

Last Updated:

1. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish! VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I keep asking dumb questions in every other thread in the Incredible section, and every other reply is basically "check out the everything root section! damn nub!!"

So here i am! On my knee's, head down, at your mercy.

I read through the stickies but still have so much confusion and so many questions. I dont want to flood the forum with my ******edness, so where are the other noobs at??

Advertisement
  2. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Should I root or wait for the OTA? :D

4. TheWhiteBandito

My favorite question of them all :D

5. rsarno

I dont know yet (havent gotten that far into it yet) what unrevoked is. But i know that unrevoked-forever is irriversable because it makes s-off or something.

What i dont know, is what s-off is, and why would i want to change the default setting? What are the advantages of taking the irreversible route?

6. TheWhiteBandito

Well it's about to be reversible, which is what s-on is. They're releasing a new tool to make Forever reversible.

1. Unrevoked is a team of devs that are responsible for making a lot of awesome things happen for our phone (and other HTC devices too!). They made root painless and easy, and then they made this s-off tool called forever.
    2. S-off literally means Security-off. You can now flash unsigned radios and do some cool stuff with your phone without having to boot back into recovery. Those are the practical uses at least.

7. rsarno

This is the part that has my mind boggled. What cool stuff can i do by going "forever", that i cant do if i dont?

8. TheWhiteBandito

As of right now, there is a new version of the radio, version 2.15 which can only be installed via forever. The program MetaMorph can work with the incredible now, which means you can install a bunch of cool themes and stuff. Check out a list of those things here *** Metamorph Themes Master List *** - xda-developers

As a side note, I don't have forever installed (right now, I was holding out for it to be reversible). Normal root is awesome, s-off is just more awesome-er

9. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Probably the best feature is the ability to snag the official OTA when it comes out and then get root again (hence the name Forever). Seems highly likely that they'll patch the root hole so if that's the case, it wouldn't be possible without it.

Also, you can flash known, working versions of radios without all the hassle of downgrading to stock every time because normal root only allows the flashing of official, signed radios. Smart devs can extract the radio from various leaked sources and make them into a flashable zip (not official signed versions) so we can save time from all the jacking around and flash at will.

That, of course, makes some end user oversight more prudent however.

10. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

Just go for it! I wasn't going to, but one of my friends rooted and convinced me to. So I did the radio update, and then flashed SkyRaider 2.5.2 Sense. I'm really glad I did, rooting gives you some great new features (not to mention Froyo up front).

11. rsarno

Thank you for the help so far.

If the OTA for 2.2 were to come today and i update my system, does that remove my ability to then root if i decide i want to?

Im thinking it would be nice to get rid of some of the bloatware, and also be able to clock as needed to save battery/increase performance.

12. Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat Well-Known Member

Following the noob questions - i haven't had alot of interest in rooting (it may seem crazy, but i want the official official 2.2 first), but I am also thinking that should i cahnge my mind down the road, i would like to have the option to.

Given that we are expecting the official 2.2 to remove the root hole, would it make sense to do unrevoked forever now? Keep in mind, I would be doing it only to preserve root options for the future; no roms out there right no interest me, and i want to make sure i can get the OTA when it comes...

13. rsarno

Bump for this question, since it might actually come today lol.

Thanks all

14. Skorpios1027

Skorpios1027 Frell me dead VIP Member

In what I have been reading about the update, it does close an exploit - though I'm unclear if it is the one currently being used. To be on the safe side, I'd run unrevoked forever (especially since even that is now reversable:D)

15. kozzer

kozzer Active Member

So Unrevoked Forever, the flash the stock recovery and you're ready to accept the OTA?