• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"where did I park my car" app?

gtbarry

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2012
California
I've been looking through the Play Store to find a good one. As you can guess, the reviews are all across the board. So, I thought I would ask all of you if you have any recommendations.

- accuracy is key
- would very much like it to be a one touch button operation to remember my parking spot
- free or trial version is nice

Or am I missing something and google maps, etc already has this?

Thanks!

I've been looking through the Play Store to find a good one. As you can guess, the reviews are all across the board. So, I thought I would ask all of you if you have any recommendations.

- accuracy is key
- would very much like it to be a one touch button operation to remember my parking spot
- free or trial version is nice

Or am I missing something and google maps, etc already has this?

Thanks!

There are dozens of "find my car" "where's my car" apps in the Store. Here's one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.databanan.wheresmycar&hl=en

Upvote 0
What I do, because I didn’t know there was such apps, is:

1. Walk about twenty feet away from the car, toward your destination.
2. Turn around and take a picture of the car, with fixed landmarks.
3. Walk until just before your next turn or entry.
4. Turn around and take a picture of your previous picture location, with fixed landmarks.
5. Repeat steps three and four as needed.
6. When returning, just follow the pictures in reverse order.

Upvote 0
An app seems like overkill to me. Using Android's built-in functionality you can do either of the following:

1) If you know where you're parked, then, hit the Google Voice Search button and say:
"Text to Your-Name: Car is in section B, slot 52". Or.
"Text to Your-Name: Car on Main Street & 3rd Ave".

2) If you've parked somewhere and have no idea where you are (which seems very rare) then you could just open Google Maps, tap your current location's blue-nav-symbol, then tap the pop-up and then either:
A) Favorite it by tapping the star on the upper right. Or.
B) Select "Send Location to others" and text or email yourself the coordinates.

Navigation isn't likely to work well (or at all) inside of big parking structures, let alone get you to your exact parking space.

Upvote 0
Of the several I looked at in the store that is one that I was leaning towards. But it had a few user reviews that said it was off by more than a mile.

On a side note, the app doesn't need to remain on while I am away from my car does it?

I choose the app also because it let me see the process of getting the location accurately (like Google Maps does). Well, one who just hit the button without waiting for a satellite lock could be a mile off :D

Yes, the app doesn't need to remain on while you are away from your car.

Harry

Reactions: gtbarry
Upvote 0
SUQ: Do you know how it knows YOUR car? It seems to indicate something about the stereo. Also, I 'assume' you need to have location services active for it to work?

SUQ? Not sure about that one.

Yes, it needs location services - it uses the new fused location provider to determine if you're driving (or riding), and marks the spot where you stop driving and start walking. It can also optionally be associated with any in-car Bluetooth devices (stereo, OBD adapters, etc); in that case, it will mark the spot where you disconnect.

Reactions: 03bluecoupe
Upvote 0
SUQ? Not sure about that one.

Yes, it needs location services - it uses the new fused location provider to determine if you're driving (or riding), and marks the spot where you stop driving and start walking. It can also optionally be associated with any in-car Bluetooth devices (stereo, OBD adapters, etc); in that case, it will mark the spot where you disconnect.

lol - sorry - SUQ = Stupid User Question, leftover from Customer Support days. ;)

Cool, thanks! I installed it just for the heck of it and will play with it. Worst that can happen is to toss it into the bit-bucket - no harm done.

Thanks

Upvote 0
It's not the fault of the app, it's your phone and the GPS.

Car locators use the GPS location of the phone when you tell it,
"The car is here."

The features you might want are a timer for the meter.
Some show you a google map route to the car. Others give you text directions.
One or two even have radar looking displays with a "ping" for your car.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones